Changing from a 2 piece rear main to a newer 1 piece rear main 5.7L

Cummins1

Cadet
I have a 1979 baja that had a 3970010 cast motor in it. After having a full rebuild done i took it out on the lake it sprung an oil leak at the rear main and locked up. I got a 1994 motor sitting at the shop for it. But it turns out the crank is a different bolt up. Has anyone attempted to do this swap before? I just need help on if theres a retro fit kit for the flywheel set. And if not what flywheel do i need where can i get it and will my outdrive coupler work?

Cummins1

Cadet
Re: Changing from a 2 piece rear main to a newer 1 piece rear main 5.7L

I forgot to add its a 5.7L in it with a mercruiser outdrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 1979 baja that had a 3970010 cast motor in it. After having a full rebuild done i took it out on the lake it sprung an oil leak at the rear main and locked up. I got a 1994 motor sitting at the shop for it. But it turns out the crank is a different bolt up. Has anyone attempted to do this swap before? I just need help on if theres a retro fit kit for the flywheel set. And if not what flywheel do i need where can i get it and will my outdrive coupler work?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Sierra is sellin' a retrofit coupler for usin' newer Chevy motors with ole MC-1 drives,...
The coupler that bolt to the crankshaft... Part # 18-2172

I believe iboats probably has 'em, as their a Sierra dealer...

I donno's you'd have clearance inside the flywheel cover for the triangular flywheel mounted coupler,..

For yer flywheel,... You'll probably want the same diameter as on yer ole motor, on the new motor...
If the new motor is drilled for the proper starter, for whichever flywheel ya need...

The straight across starter bolt pattern is the 12" flywheel...
The staggered pattern is for the 14" flywheel...

Both total diameters are available in the newer smaller bolt pattern...
'n yer block may be drilled for both starter patterns....

Cummins1

Cadet

I found the coupler. Do i have to get a new flywheel for a boat? Or can i use one off of a truck with a standard trans? It has a flexplate for an automatic on it now.

Bondo

Staff member

I found the coupler. Do i have to get a new flywheel for a boat? Or can i use one off of a truck with a standard trans? It has a flexplate for an automatic on it now.

Ayuh,... They're 1, 'n the same,.... 1s painted, 'n 1 ain't...

Cummins1

Cadet

Alright i found a flywheel from a buddy of his 95 model. Thanks for the help Bond-o

Cummins1

Cadet

Sorry to bother you again. But when doing that swap can i use the stock chevy flexplate? Or do i have to use a flywheel?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

use the standard transmission flywheel

Cummins1

Cadet

Not trying to be a smart***..What is the difference? will it hurt it to use a flexplate?

Bondo

Staff member

Not trying to be a smart***..What is the difference? will it hurt it to use a flexplate?

Ayuh,... With only a flex plate, the motor will stall when put into gear, as it'll have no momentum to keep it runnin'...