Another WOT Problem on Merc 4.3L

dmaxx

Cadet
I would like to start out by stating that even though this is my first post and I haven't been a member very long, I have search all through the forums looking for ideas to my problem. First off, I found Mr. Don's list and started from there. Then searched through the forums looking for some ideas. Anyways here goes:

I have a 1996 Mercruiser 4.3L balanced shaft w/ thunderbolt IV ignition and alpha drive. I hate to make this post really long, but I'm trying to explain my whole story in detail so I can get more answers. I bought the boat 5 years ago and havent had many problems until now. Only thing I have done to it is a basic tuneup...ie plugs,wires,cap, rotor and starter. All in the first year I owned the boat. Until I started taking it out this year. The first time I took the boat out this year, it ran excellent. The second time is when everything went downhill. The only difference between all the WOT problems that I have found is that the motor runs excellent for the first mile to the next no wake zone(ridin on the river). After that no wake zone, I put it in WOT and it doesnt want to hit above 3500-3800 rpm and surges. I figured it is 16 yrs old now so the carb was needing a rebuild. I took it out last weekend after the rebuild and was tuning the carb how the manual tells you to. Got it in tune and engine still does the same thing after the no wake zone.

Now to Don's List:
1. Always put Stabil when I winterize. Also at the beginning of the season i put a bottle of SeaFoam in tank. After reading the list, I put some isopropyl alcohol in the tank just so I could make sure I had no water in the tank and filled with 91 octane.
2. Haven't changed props between years and haven't hit anything to damage prop.
3. Pulled pick up tube and is clean. A couple small pieces in the screen, but easily sprayed out. I don't think that I have an antisiphon tube because I shoved a garden hose down through the fill hose and sucked fuel out of the tank with a bulb primer.
4. Oil is at normal level. Maybe a tiny bit low.
5. I run in fresh water river and clean/wax hull regularly.
6. Same gear ratio as last year when it ran fine.
7. Sprayed flame arrestor out with brake clean and then with compressed air. Of course inside to out.
8. For this one, I am not sure where the flapper is at the transom or drive. Pulled the risers off and the flappers in the exhaust "up pipes" are working fine.
9. I have not done a compression check yet, but will certainly have one done tomorrow afternoon.
10. Just rebuilt carb. Have good vacuum and secondaries are opening on time and everything. Have accel pump on richest setting. I have a Weber 4 barrel model 9600.
11. I only got the first test done, looking for bubbles in the clear hose, but haven't done the tests on the water. (Funny how you can always have friends that will come out and party when boat runs good but when you need help fixing it, everybody is too busy!!) Also when I was on the water, I found out that I fuel pump hasn't ever been wired in since I have owned the boat at least. The purple wire was just zip tied next to the distributor cap. I wired that in and it still did the surging.
12. Last time I took it out, it was just me and my wife. not overloaded at all. Trim is unchanged from last year.
13. Not running hot at all. This year I changed out impellar, but old impellar looked good and no missing fins. Positive I did it correctly. Not loosing any outdrive oil or anything. Engine runs at about 175, never above that I have seen, using IR temp gauge.
14. I haven't checked the timing but all the threads I have read, nobody has had a problem with 4.3's w/ carb having timing issues. Looked at spark plugs, but they don't look very bad. I figure that I will try changing the plugs tomorrow. When at WOT it kind of sounds like it is only running 4 or 5 cylinders to justify my changing the plugs.
15. Linkage is good. It opens everything when running and on the water.

Ok....That is it and what I have done so far. If I had a guess, I would say that it is something to do with my timing, but am unsure. Again, I am sorry for such a long post, but I want to be detailed enough to help yall help me. Thank you in advance for any help that you can give me.

Struc

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Another WOT Problem on Merc 4.3L

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem. You're getting enough fuel until you hit a certain point, and then it's not getting enough.

Could be fuel pump, fuel filter, bad fuel, or a faulty anti-drainback valve, or if there is any kind of filter in the tank pickup, it could be restricted.

Just some things to check.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

"3. Pulled pick up tube and is clean. A couple small pieces in the screen, but easily sprayed out. I don't think that I have an antisiphon tube because I shoved a garden hose down through the fill hose and sucked fuel out of the tank with a bulb primer"

The anti siphon valve is on the fuel pick.........not in the fuel fill line.
Try running it off a seperate tank (outboard tank) to rule out the main tank.......

dmaxx

Cadet

To reply to some of your answers, I changed the fuel filter/ seperator and no fix. When I took the pickup tube out, I saw that antisiphon valve, but thought it was just so the fuel doesnt drain back into tank. I chacked it and the ball seems fine. I pushed it in a couple of times and it sprung back like it was supposed to.

I think I am narrowing down to either ignition problem or the starvation problem at full throttle. only problem with checking the starvation problem at WOT is that I will need to fabricate a hose to go between the fuel filter and pump for that test because it is all steel lines coming off the filter. I need to figure that part out, I guess.

I won't be able to get the boat in the water until tomorrow to actually do the fuel test though.

Thank You for the replies, I appreciate it.

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a very similar engine issue last year. Oscillating idle and would cut out intermittently under load, then recover on its own. Our solution seemed to be replacing the fuel filter (not the same as the separator).

Other items of interest for possible solution is the IAC (Idle Air Controller). I read a lot of threads pertaining to the symptoms and cleaning or replacing the IAC seemed to solve the issue.

Not wanting you to check a lot of dead ends, but consider possible items that may cause your issue.

Good luck!

dmaxx

Cadet

Thanks Robb for the input but I have a carburated engine. I think that you are talking about a Fuel Injected engine. Also, I don't see any other fuel filters on my engine other than the fuel/water seperator. Do you have an idea on where that filter would be on my engine?

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure about all carbs, but on some of them there is a filter inside the carb where the fuel line enters.

sharkin95

Petty Officer 2nd Class

fuel tank vent,I would check the timing anyway , compression check valves,rings, cyl, check fuel pump pressure with an inline gauge, carb floats @ 2" drop float level @ 1 9/32", check engine running with a vacuum gauge

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Iam wondering about tank venting, as suggested by sharkin above. Once it won't open up, loosen the filler cap and try it again.

I have had plugs go bad quickly in other vehicles before, although it is rare, so your idea to change them doesn't hurt.

Good luck!

dmaxx

Cadet

Thanks. I couldn't borrow the compression gauge from work today so can't answer that question. Working on checking timing and changin plugs tonight.