Newb - trim question

colinger76

Cadet
New here and would love some help figuring this out. Just bought a brand new boat with a 3.0 merc and alpha one. First trip out I noticed that the trim would only go up about 1/4 of what it was when the boat was on the trailer. I shut the motor down to park at the sand bar and I couldn't get into the shallow to dock because the trim wouldn't lift the motor far enough. I adjusted the trim level on the port side of the drive when I got it out of the water. I have a single button trim switch on the throttle lever. My question is what would cause this to happen on a brand new boat and have I done the right thing by making this adjustment? I believe I understand when and why to use the trim, I just don't understand enough to know if there may be a bigger problem that I am missing. Please help.

Thanks
Chad

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newb - trim question

Return the adjustment back to its original position.Trim up is controlled by the trim limit switch. It prevents the outdrive from being trimmed up beyond the set limit.Once trim limit is reached you must use the trailer switch to raise it up higher.Your new boat should have come with an instruction manual, i suggest reading it. Max trim up is 20 -3/4 inches from nut to nut.

colinger76

Cadet

Bt Doctur -

Thanks for the response to my question. I appreciate the advice, but your advice is where I am most stumped. I don't have a trailer switch. I have a single button on the throttle lever and no trailer switch. Is there a two stage trim system or something. I swear it worked at the dealer and I could trim it up and down, full motion, with just that switch and then all of a sudden, it did not work correctly any longer. I have read the owners manual, several times, looking for this answer. Believe me, I am not too proud to admit when I need to find the answers. Does any of this make sense? Boat is a Tahoe Q4sf.

Thanks
Chad

Bondo

Staff member

Bt Doctur -

Thanks for the response to my question. I appreciate the advice, but your advice is where I am most stumped. I don't have a trailer switch. I have a single button on the throttle lever and no trailer switch. Is there a two stage trim system or something. I swear it worked at the dealer and I could trim it up and down, full motion, with just that switch and then all of a sudden, it did not work correctly any longer. I have read the owners manual, several times, looking for this answer. Believe me, I am not too proud to admit when I need to find the answers. Does any of this make sense? Boat is a Tahoe Q4sf.

Thanks
Chad

Ayuh,.... You either have a 3 position button, with a detent for trailer,....

Or 2 switches....

That's how it works...

colinger76

Cadet

Can you explain what is a 3 position switch. Is this when you press the up button the motor will trim and if you continue to hold the button, the motor will then go to trailering mode? If so, what would cause the trailering function to fail? Thanks for the help so far. I am learning.

Thanks
Chad

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Nope, you have 2 buttons... One for DOWN, and the other is 2 function, just YOU didn't read the operator's guide before using the boat... :facepalm:... The UP button is also the TRAILER function. You just push the button in harder, it'll click the second position and the drive will run up all the way....

Now, do yourself and all the other boaters out there a favour and read the book, before you do someone some damage....

Chris...

colinger76

Cadet

achris....

Thanks for the response, but your attempt to ridicule me and make me look like an idiot will not work or be accepted. I DID read the manual and as stated before, the manual says nothing about pushing the button harder to get the motor in trailer mode. I like the information on this forum, but if this is the way you treat people who are looking for honest help, I can look elsewhere and be better served. I have never and will never make someone feel stupid for asking a question. Have I done some stupid things in my life? Yep. And to make you aware, since you may not know....we all have. so asking for help, I think is a pretty good move when you need it. Other than that....I'll go home and readjust the trim to where it was and then push the button as hard as I can and see if it works. Thank You
Chad

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

colinger76

I have a single switch on mine also. I found that the upper portion of the switch controls both the up portion of the trim, when driving and when you push in in further it goes into the trailer mode allowing the lower unit to move the rest of the way up.

Take a look at the switch closely and see how far the switch button moves in. If you look how far it goes in when pushing down compared to how far it is pushed in when going up you can usually see that the top portion is the "two position" switch. The first time you do this you think you will break it but as long as you are not "pushing" really hard this is normal. That is how mine switch is.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Here are photos of my switch. I hope you can see the fourth picture where I have the switch pushed in for max trim when driving and the fifth picture where the switch is pushed in all the way to raise the lower unit for trailering.P6250114.jpgP6250116.jpgP6250115.jpgP6250117.jpgP6250118.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you push the up button the first click, that is trim, when you continue pushing the up button to the second click, that is for trailer.

Trim allows only a limited amount of movement of trim rams, tilt brings the drive up all the way to the trailer position.

colinger76

Cadet

Thank you guys for the help. I'll try this and see what I find out. Thanks for the photos of the gear lever as well. Very helpful.

Thanks
Chad

colinger76

Cadet

Okay guys. I got it. I feel a little dumb that I didn't try pushing the button harder to the trailer mode engaged. I did push the button harder and it worked like iit was designed to work. Rookie mistake......Thanks for all of the help.

Chad

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

No problem,

I did the same thing myself. Have fun "boating."