Replacing Weber 4 barrell with edelbrock on 4.3 lx

skeffington

Seaman
What all will I need to accomplish this? My engine is very hard to start and I've been told it's because the Weber carb on these engines leak. I'm pretty sick of it and I'm thinking of making the switch. Will I also need to swap out the intake manifold? Also how hard will it be to adjust the carb? I have pre-vortec heads if that helps. Also should I buy new, or remaned? Thanks

machz1000

Cadet
Re: Replacing Weber 4 barrell with edelbrock on 4.3 lx

i put that carb on my 4.3 it bolted right on did not have to change anything.i upgraded to vortec heads and edelbrock intake installed the 1850 carb calibration kit edelbrock recomended for the 4.3 it made the engine way lean needed to go up 2 sizes on primary jets and changed metering rods and springs runs great now

skeffington

Seaman

Thanks for the help guys. achris i read your original thread asking about this problem and you mentioned something about a spreadbore and squarebore. I really no very little about carbs, I'm too young to have screwed with them much. Is this a concern for me if I replace it with an Edelbrock or can I just order the 1409 and that's all i need and it will bolt right up and hopefully solve my problem?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The Edelbrock will bolt straight on... What you will have to do is open it up and put the right jets in. It's bog easy and all the theory of how carbies work is in that link I gave you... If you know how to hold a screwdriver, you shouldn't have any problems with this....

skeffington

Seaman

Well thanks for the help, I'll probably go ahead and get it then. I'm sick of cranking all the time to get it to start.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Well thanks for the help, I'll probably go ahead and get it then. I'm sick of cranking all the time to get it to start.

That's why mine was replaced..... With an MPI.... Love the engine, hate Mercury Marine!

Chris.......