Water in cylinders 5,6,7, and 8

1998rinker21

Cadet
Have a 5.7 litre 350 with water in the 5,6,7, and 8 cylinders. Would this be both my exhaust manifolds or would it be another problem?

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Water in cylinders 5,6,7, and 8

Could be the exhaust manifolds and/or risers, and/or flappers.

Just to confirm, you are seeing water on both sides of the engine, not just one bank of cylinders (5,6,7,8 would be how you number all the cylinders on the port side of a Ford, not a Chevy), correct?

Start by pulling your risers and having a look for rot. Post pictures if you're not sure what you are looking at.

1998rinker21

Cadet

Yes , there is water on both sides of the motor. the last 2 cylinders on both sides. I have taken one manifold off with the riser still attached. What am i looking for when i take the riser off ?

haulnazz15

Captain

Agreed, if his s/n is indicative of his current boat, it would be tough to figure out how a Ford engine got in there since the weren't an option in 1998. You need to specify whether this was one side of the engine, or actually 5-8 (rear 4 cylinders) on the block. I am assuming he means only one bank of the engine was affected. Somewhat regardless, if it happened on one side of the engine, I wouldn't just replace the broken side and wait for the other side to fail. Inspect both risers/manifolds/flappers as RogersJetBoat454 suggested.

Bondo

Staff member

Yes , there is water on both sides of the motor. the last 2 cylinders on both sides. I have taken one manifold off with the riser still attached. What am i looking for when i take the riser off ?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Yer lookin' for a gasket failure, or rust through, allowin' water into the exhaust cavities...

1998rinker21

Cadet

Could a bad intake manifold and gasket put water in these cylinders ?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Could a bad intake manifold and gasket put water in these cylinders ?

Eh...

Possibly the rear most cylinders, but unlikely. Most of the time when intake manifolds and their gaskets fail, the main symptom is water in the oil.

Again, if you haven't done it, separate the risers from the exhaust manifolds, and take pictures if your not sure of what you're looking at. Also take a look in the exhaust tubes to the drive to see what's there for flappers.

tpenfield

Staff member

+1 for the gaskets between the exhaust manifolds and elbows. Probably not the intake manifold as it would leak into #1,2 cylinders.

Look for rust inside the exhaust port on the exhaust manifolds and also on the corresponding ports on the cylinder head. Also, check the condition of the exhaust valves if you can see them. You could also do a compression test and a cylinder leak test. The leak test would be better in this situation.

1998rinker21

Cadet

I removed both risers and the gaskets look brand new. I did notice that there was alot of water in the even cylinder side manifold. I removed both manifolds off the block to get the water off the cylinders. So I removed all the spark plugs and cranked the motor. Some water shot out of all the cylinders at first then it stop everywhere except #4 and#6. I sprayed wd40 in all of them and cranked again to have water still coming out #4 and #6. Could all this water still be in the block from the exhaust manifolds ( which both will be tested tomorrow) or could this water becoming in elswhere while im cranking the motor ?

Bondo

Staff member

or could this water becoming in elswhere while im cranking the motor ?

Ayuh,.... Keep diggin',... Something is Cracked...

tpenfield

Staff member

Intake manifold cracked . . . would be my next place to go if the exhaust proved to be fine.