2007 Mercruiser 3.0L TKS alpha won't start no power to gauges accessories work

iDrinkMolson

Recruit
Hello everyone, I would appreciate any help you can provide with my problem. I think I fried something, possibly a fuse or another circuit breaker, when using a battery charger while battery was connected in boat. Manual that came with it says to check TKS fuse, but it doesn?t say where it?s at.

2007 Mercruiser 3.0L TKS alpha
Model: 41110E5UT
Serial: 1A015520
In 2008 Bayliner 192 Discovery

Symptoms:
Turn key, get nothing, no audible alarm sound, no power to gauges, no solenoid clicking, not turning over.
Accessories work, horn, depth finder, trim motor (but not trim gauge).

Sequence of events:
First, battery was dead ? used jump starter to start it. Disconnected jump starter, ran for about 15 minutes, turned off for minute, started up on battery. Battery showing about 12v.

Connected battery charger on fast charge for about 7 hours while still connected in boat. (started to rain) Then removed battery from boat and continued to fast charge until it indicated charge complete. Battery shows 12.7v.
Installed battery, now won?t start with above mentioned symptoms. Tried jump starter again, same thing.

Checked/Fixed:
Found main 50a circuit breaker tripped (yellow arm out), reset it, still won?t start, etc. Did not trip again.
Checked all fuses under dash.
Checked 1 each of 15a & 20a mini fuses above and to rear of engine.
Kill switch in RUN position; gear shifter in neutral.
Checked fusible link on Starter, nut was very loose that attaches both cables to starter, tightened that, but no change. Fusible link looks good too.

Thanks,
Jeff

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2007 Mercruiser 3.0L TKS alpha won't start no power to gauges accessories work

First, make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight with a wrench. No wing nuts.

With a volt meter, (negative meter lead to ground) check for voltage at both terminals of your 50A circuit breaker. If voltage on only one, the breaker is bad, if no voltage on either terminal check the square fuse mounted on the starter solenoids main terminal.
If Voltage on both terminals, check for fuse in red/puple wire under dash going to key switch, lanyard kill switch, and all connections between engine and helm.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: 2007 Mercruiser 3.0L TKS alpha won't start no power to gauges accessories work

1st thing to check. When you reinstalled the battery, did you get both wires put back on each terminal? A lot of people seem to remove them and then miss one when they reinstall.

iDrinkMolson

Recruit

First, make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight with a wrench. No wing nuts.

With a volt meter, (negative meter lead to ground) check for voltage at both terminals of your 50A circuit breaker. If voltage on only one, the breaker is bad, if no voltage on either terminal check the square fuse mounted on the starter solenoids main terminal.
If Voltage on both terminals, check for fuse in red/puple wire under dash going to key switch, lanyard kill switch, and all connections between engine and helm.

Hey Don, thanks for the reply. Although I have 1 wing nut, I am sure it is tight as I used pliers. I tested 50a breaker and I have no voltage on either side. Does the key need to be in the "on" position?
Is this the square fuse you're talking about on the starter? I checked it it appears to be a fusible link inside and it was okay.
IMG_0714EditCircledBW.jpg
For the record, these are the mini fuses I checked (middle/bottom), but I am not sure what the top one is. It has two soft plungers inside the blue plug that do not seem to be pushing anything when I push on them.
IMG_0715EditCirclesBW.jpg

iDrinkMolson

Recruit

1st thing to check. When you reinstalled the battery, did you get both wires put back on each terminal? A lot of people seem to remove them and then miss one when they reinstall.

I was wondering this myself after the first day. Here's a pic, I think I have everything back the way it was.

IMG_0713eResized.jpg

iDrinkMolson

Recruit

Well. I got it started. Still don't believe this but first, in my defense, it was 106? with the humidity when this happened.
I found another thread where Don S explained how to check to see if there's voltage at the ignition switch. So I was doing that and I got negative 12.xx volts! That's when I realized something was crossed at the battery. Only one wire wasn't really marked but it was a heavy gauge black wire, that I had on negative post, moved it over to positive and walla, I got the ignition switch on alarm and knew I was good. Hooked up a hose and she started right up. Why they'd put a black wire on positive is beyond me. :facepalm:
Thanks for the ideas, I was ready to give up.