1995 Bayliner Capri 1850 Mercruiser 4.3 - Stripped Distributor Gear

czar97

Cadet
I just pulled my distributor last night and found a spot where 3 of the 13 of the gears are missing.

NOTE: All other teeth are warn down to sharp thin teeth... razor sharp along the entire length of the distributor gear. All teeth were warn super thin and finally 3 of them let go. Maybe only one sheered off and the next two couldn't handle the load and sheered off as well.

My assesment... the depth or "mesh" of the dist. gear and the camshaft gear are correct only because the wear (excessive wear) is over the entire lenght of the dist. gear (maybe slightly more down over the bottom 2/3 of the gear... guessing this is becuase the dist. gear is pushed up very very slightly by the rotating camshaft.

NOTE: Nothing of any great concern came out of the oil pan. Used a magnet in the oil catch pan and didn't recover anything... thought for sure there'd be some silver powder... nothing. A couple (3 to be exact) thin razor pieces of metal... the 3 teeth that let loose off the dist. gear were laying in the bottom of the pan.

I removed the bottom plate (bottom half) of the oil pump with the 4 10mm bolts and dropped out the idler gear. Inspected everything... I was almost hoping that something had gotten jamed in there which would put additional stress on the dist. gear. Nope... clean and oily oil pump. Nothing jamming it up.

1995 boat used in Michigan for roughly 13 summers (a few summers it never made it to the water due to lack of time).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-matt

sharkin95

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1995 Bayliner Capri 1850 Mercruiser 4.3 - Stripped Distributor Gear

thunderbolt 4 distributor e-bay used. I would get a used or new that is not a common problem worn bushing,bent shaft, while your in there new melling oil pump 155h w/ screen @auto zone.

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1995 Bayliner Capri 1850 Mercruiser 4.3 - Stripped Distributor Gear

Distro hard to turn? Bushings galling, gripping the shaft? Oil pump relief valve not working/filter plugging up? Too thick of oil? And incorrect gear type for cam type (they make more than one drive gear type, some cam metals want the bronze gear, some the steel). All possible. What kind of oil pressure were you seeing? (Not really accurate as a gauge of what type of pressure/flow the pump was putting out du to most pressures being read after the oil has seen some restriction already, but it does monitor bearing restriction somewhat).