Performance of my 383 stroker!

FReade

Cadet
I have a 2007 Monterey 234fsx. Came with a 350 Mag. w/300 horsepower. It blew up so I ordered a 383stroker w/410 hp. My original engine would turn 5200 @ 55mph, the new 110 more hp from US Engine will turn 4900 rpm and only do 50 mph. I have a 19pitch prop. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? The mechanic that installed it had the motorola computer reflashed by his mercury rep for a Mercury 383. I had previously sent it to Arizona Speed to have it done but the couldn't do Motorola computer.
Any help would be great !!!

FReade

Cadet
Re: Performance of my 383 stroker!

I have a 2007 Monterey 234fsx. Came with a 350 Mag. w/300 horsepower. It blew up so I ordered a 383stroker w/410 hp. My original engine would turn 5200 @ 55mph, the new 110 more hp from US Engine will turn 4900 rpm and only do 50 mph. I have a 19pitch prop. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? The mechanic that installed it had the motorola computer reflashed by his mercury rep for a Mercury 383. I had previously sent it to Arizona Speed to have it done but the couldn't do Motorola computer.
Any help would be great !!!

Anyone?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Donno what kinda help yer lookin' for...

The installing Mechanic should be takin' care of this, 'n possibly involvin' the motor Builder...

FReade

Cadet

I know! But neither one seems to care. Neither the mechanic or the engine builder will call me back!! And I paid them nearly 5k each!!!

Bondo

Staff member

I know! But neither one seems to care. Neither the mechanic or the engine builder will call me back!! And I paid them nearly 5k each!!!

Ayuh,... I wish I could help ya, But there's 'bout 1 Million ways to build, prep, 'n tune a Chevy stroker motor.....

Especially, when yer talkin' 'bout a reflashed 'puter....
That's the guy, ya Really gotta get back with...

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Torque and horsepower curves all need to be considered. In addition lots of software puts a lower rpm limit on stroker motors. Has to do with rod angularity. You just cant spin them as fast and expect them to live as long (longer stroke trys to push the piston into the the cyl as opposed to up it) its possible that you need to reprop to take advantage of the available power at lower rpms.

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Big question. Did you buy an automotive engine or a marine engine? Power/torque curve is way different and a fancy automotive engine won't work well in a boat..

BTW most marine engines with ECM rev limit @ 4800 - 5000 Sounds like you are right in the middle..

Previuos poster may be right -- changing prop may help..

Hope this helps

FReade

Cadet

Thanks for the input! I emailed the obd2allinone.com place, hopefully they can help.
I have alot more play in the throttle than I used to also, about the last 3 or 4 inches makes very little differance in response.
I was thinking prop also, but its supposed to turn 5000 and thats about what its turning, wouldn't going from a 19 pitch to a 21 or so change my rpms?

FReade

Cadet

Big question. Did you buy an automotive engine or a marine engine? Power/torque curve is way different and a fancy automotive engine won't work well in a boat..

BTW most marine engines with ECM rev limit @ 4800 - 5000 Sounds like you are right in the middle..

Previuos poster may be right -- changing prop may help..

Hope this helps

Its a marine engine, not automotive

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the input! I emailed the obd2allinone.com place, hopefully they can help.
I have alot more play in the throttle than I used to also, about the last 3 or 4 inches makes very little differance in response.
I was thinking prop also, but its supposed to turn 5000 and thats about what its turning, wouldn't going from a 19 pitch to a 21 or so change my rpms?

383 Strokers are torquey motors. You're most noticible gain will be in your hole shot. The additional HP will lengthen the power curve so you should be able to turn that 21 without a problem. This is one of those not so text book cases where your top end speed should increase and your MAX RPM's should remain about the same.

QC

Supreme Mariner

The Mercury 383 (as yours is flashed), is rated at 320 Propshaft horsepower. Your 350 Mag is rated 300 at the prop. You have gained 20 horsepower, no way 110. Also the WOT RPM range for 383 (6.2) is the same as the 350 MAG, 4800 - 5200. Increasing pitch when it can't spin a 19 past 4900 does not seem like a solution to me unless there is something wrong with the prop itself. Your previous experience says the prop was good ;)

Jlawsen

The Mercury 383 (as yours is flashed), is rated at 320 Propshaft horsepower. Your 350 Mag is rated 300 at the prop. You have gained 20 horsepower, no way 110. Also the WOT RPM range for 383 (6.2) is the same as the 350 MAG, 4800 - 5200. Increasing pitch when it can't spin a 19 past 4900 does not seem like a solution to me unless there is something wrong with the prop itself. Your previous experience says the prop was good ;)

You're right QC, I went back and re-read the prior posts and agree. I was thinking it was a true stroker motor.

QC

Supreme Mariner

All good. For clarity, Merc says the 383 is 325 at the Propshaft. 377 (6.2) is 320. My guess is that it is paper not reality. The 377s are new and 383s are reman. I doubt they have separately optimized these. No need to spend the $ and 6 CID is pretty insignificant. A little more air, but they allow a pretty large swing in rating percentages anyway. These are rounding errors.

OK, bugging me. 6 CID is 1.5%. If you apply the same to the horsepower you get 324.8, so OK, 325 :facepalm: Sorry . . . :D

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

has it been fully run in as may still need to loosen up if its new.

NHGuy

Captain

Even if it's 325 HP I'd think it ought to out pull the 350 mag.

Also. if the 383 isn't a Mercruiser clone the efi could need a custom tune.

Jlawsen

Even if it's 325 HP I'd think it ought to out pull the 350 mag.

Also. if the 383 isn't a Mercruiser clone the efi could need a custom tune.

There's a lot we don't know about the motor and a lot the owner doesn't either. A stroker typically won't out run a magnum on the top end but it should out pull it on the lower end. The power curve is on a sharp rise at the beginning of the rpm range and then flattens. It should extend further through the RPM range and then drop off almost as sharply as it rose. The idea is to pull hard longer to get where you're going quicker but not necessarily at a higher top speed.

In this case I sort of think the ECM tuning is keeping him below the 5000 RPM he once saw. All things being what they are, he might be able to put a 21 on there and still turn 4900 RPM but I couldn't say for sure because there are so many other tuning factors that I don't know.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

http://www.usengine.us/marine.html

383 Stroker 410 h.p 1996 - 2011 8 or 12 Bolt Intake Manifold

$3,295

383 stroker is made from two engines, the Chevy 350 and Chevy 400 engine. From the 400 Chevy we use the crankshaft however our 400 crankshafts are new. The 400 crankshaft is fitted into the Chevy 350 making a longer stroke

350 rods are used with special designed pistons. The cylinder heads, camshafts, timing gears and valves are all from the Chevy 350 engine. The Chevy 383 stroker makes more horse power but what most do not know the 383 stroker has much more torque.

Torque is what you need to move heavy loads like boats. Think of torque and horsepower this way. Big diesel trucks have 300 to 400 horsepower, but what moves them down the highway is their torgue 1,200 or more.

We have installed Chevy 383 strokers in customers boats and gained 15 miles per hour however you must change your prop to gain 15 MPH or you can have massive torque power up to 5,200 RPMS. Not changing your prop makes your boat great for pulling skiers and tubers. If you have 383 stroker marine questions just call we will be pleased to help
350 boat engine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes you need a tune that is not a merc engine and if you go there you will need to get the cam card actually all of the major details... so obd can tune the engine..They cannot guess

Id bet your in a pickle here... that is no one to custom tune a merc 555 system. You can still do this though... replace the 555 with a mefi 4b harness and ecm about 700.> your mech owes you one for having a new block flashed for a merc engine they are not even close. Opps and obd can tune that 383 with a mefi ecm

FReade

Cadet

Its not a Mercury 383, thats just what the computer was flashed to. The motor was build by USmarine and theirs is "suposedly" 410hp not like the factory Mercury 383 at 320. So my computer probably does need to be reflashed, I'm thinking. ( didn't realize Mercury's was 320hp)