Outboard to stern drive

wameyer

Seaman
I had to start a new thread or I would have used the old thread but someone deleted it so sorry for having to start a new one for the issue that I am having. Again if my old post were still here everyone would know my history of my boat but I will keep this short. I converted my 25' glasstream eagle from outboard to stern drive and I know your not supposed to use an automotive starter on a marine engine because of enclosure and fumes could ignite and boat be a bomb. I bought an automotive starter because it was cheaper and I needed to see if the engine would run. I shimmed the starter every which way possible and the bendix throws out fine its just not making contact with the flywheel. Like I said I shimmed it every which way and Im at a loss of what could be wrong or not causing the bendix to make contact. I have been trying to sale my boat and have had zero luck so I am in the quite of a pickle to just get it going so then I can sale it. Anyone know what the problem might be so I can get this beast on the water. Thank you very much.

Oh I put a chevy '87 305 and converted it marine use with a marine crank and cam.

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Outboard to stern drive

Post up some pics of this , i think its worth looking at . Might help to see whats going on.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Did this engine come from an I/O setup or inboard setup or unknown setup?
Is it a marine engine?
who put the engine components on?
And your headers will not work, you need water cooled manifolds

wameyer

Seaman

the engine came from a buddy that had it in his truck and put a different engine in his truck. I put the marine crank and cam in. I bought a donor boat that had a marine engine in it except the block was toast so I used the flywheel from it (Mercruiser 265 I think I know it was a V8 mercruiser cause it had the valve covers with it and marine parts) So I used the flywheel from it and the other components. I got a used crank and cam from a marine shop close by.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

curious about the flywheel that was installed. there is one for inboards and one for I/O applications.Has to do with what side the ring gear is installed on.
could also be that your using a 12 inch instead of a 14 inch
whats the bolt pattern of the starter ,straight or staggered and is the motor a 1 piece rear main or two piece

wameyer

Seaman

Oh sorry those questions werent there when I posted a reply lol. The bolt pattern is staggered, originally the engine was a one piece rear main we had to buy a 2 piece rear main special adapter piece because of the crank.

Gpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds to me like you're running the wrong flywheel. Chevy used 2 different flywheels, a 153 tooth, and a 168 tooth if memory serves. I think, and please check up on me cuz it's been a while since I was playing Frankenstein with small blocks, that a staggered-mount started was meant to be used with a 168 tooth flywheel, while a straight-mount starter was meant for a 153. Try getting a straight-mount starter and trying it. I think that most, if not all chevy blocks were drilled and tapped to use either one.
One more thing, I think Chevy kept the tooth counts and diameters the same when they switched from the 2 piece rear main to the 1 piece. The only difference was the bolt pattern and pilot diameter. Again, I'm working from old experience here, so please feel free to check up on me. :)

wameyer

Seaman

Well sounds to me like Im going out ot the boat to count the teeth on my flywheel so I can work backwards on what starter to get then. Thanks

wameyer

Seaman

Once I determine what size flywheel is on my motor what will I need to do to get the correct starter since obviously the starter for that particular engine year will not work?

Gpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's where a little 'net research comes in. Look online at Autozone or Advance's website and start searching starters for Chevy cars and trucks. I think they used the smaller flywheel in the cars and the larger in the trucks, for obvious reasons. Please don't mistake me, I'm definitely NOT recomending (sp.?) you use a starter from either establishment, whether on a boat or a car, truck, lawnmower, wheelbarrow, etc., but it's a good tool for research, and it'll help you figure out what application used the starter you need. Problem is, they may not offer the starter you need in a marine configuration. Or, perhaps they will. I'm not too experienced with marine setups, my experience has mainly been in auto performance and racing applications.

wameyer

Seaman

The only difference that I found from marine starter versus automotive has been one is a sealed unit to keep water and fumes out. Ok thank you for the input I will be doing that this week so I can try to get this boat started and on the water.

Bondo

Staff member

The only difference that I found from marine starter versus automotive has been one is a sealed unit to keep water and fumes out. Ok thank you for the input I will be doing that this week so I can try to get this boat started and on the water.

Ayuh,.... How many starter bolt holes are in this block,..?? 2, or 3,..??
If only 2, are they straight across, or staggered,..??

The auto starter ya bought,.. is it's bolt pattern straight across, or staggered,..??

No need to count teeth,... just answer a few questions....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The only difference that I found from marine starter versus automotive has been one is a sealed unit to keep water and fumes out.

Proves that research done wrong doesn't tell you the real facts.

Marine starters are ignition protected, not protected from fumes and water.
They are shielded to prevent the sparks inside the starter from igniting gas fumes that could be in the bilge if you had a fuel leak.

Might want to spend some time researching here http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/boat_builders_handbook_and_regulations.aspx

wameyer

Seaman

Bond-O the auto starter that I have is the staggered bolt pattern, and the block has 3 holes for the starter. Thank you

Don S I have read that website before and was aware that marine starters are different from autos in that they prevent spark because of the fumes that are generated in the engine bay of a boat unlike in a car where the fumes go straight to the ground.

Bondo

Staff member

Bond-O the auto starter that I have is the staggered bolt pattern, and the block has 3 holes for the starter. Thank you

Don S I have read that website before and was aware that marine starters are different from autos in that they prevent spark because of the fumes that are generated in the engine bay of a boat unlike in a car where the fumes go straight to the ground.

Ayuh,... You need the straight across pattern starter.... Marine rated....

wameyer

Seaman

Off to the auto part store to get one in the a.m. Hopefully it works. thank you for the help it is much appreciated.

Gpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One more thing I'll throw in, make double sure that the mounting pad on the back of the block where the starter mounts against is clean and free of paint. I've seen more than one small block with starter issues that were traced back to corrosion/rust/paint/dirt/grease/oil between the starter and the block. Since that and the two bolts are the only things that ground the starter, any loss of continuity between the starter and the block will cause starting issues. Having said that, in a marine environment, having any bare metal will be an invitation to rust or corrosion. One way to fight it could be to paint the mounting area first, then run an auxilliary ground cable, at least 2 ga. from one of the starter mounting bolts to the battery.