Shifting & engine stall problems with 67 ,120 mercruiser

charliez

Seaman
Thanks for the past help ! Boat shifts fine from forward to neutral & wondering why with the shift interrupter unhooked but going from N to F it dies repeatedly (especially after warm up) . Need to know where the two wires from the interrupter switch hook to I believe one goes to the coil but not sure which one or where the other connects. I have the old separated resister type coil. Could this be carb adjustment had it rebuilt & does pretty good otherwise other than almost idling in no wake zones seems to stutter & will die if throttle isn't applied a little. But this dying thing is a big problem. Thanks ...

charliez

Seaman
Re: Shifting & engine stall problems with 67 ,120 mercruiser

Will do, The lower shift cable is new but could be adjustment or binding somewhere. I will read the link & get back..Thanks again.

charliez

Seaman

Ok, could it be it just out of adjustment it has pretty much been doing this since replacing the lower shift cable.. Only thing that makes me think carb adj. is the spitting & dying at very low speed with a slight miss after running slow for awhile,then give throttle & its ok? . I guess it may be two different problems altogether.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It could be a lot of things, drive problems, shift shaft in the bellhousing binding, cable adjustment, maybe it was damaged during installation, impossible to say for sure.

Here is a link where you can download the manual. The adjustment procedures are in it. http://www.4shared.com/office/zIkYIr7d/01__Eng__Drives_63-73.html?

charliez

Seaman

Ok, thanks again Don.