Trim motor

Ok, from the throttle I hear a clicking when hitting the down and nothing when hitting the up. From the switch I hear a clicking when hitting up and nothing down. I replaced the two solenoids since that wasn't an expensive option. Still the same thing. Am I possibly looking at replacing the motor? It's a 3.0L mercruiser aplha stern drive part num. on trim motor is 88183a11. Thanks, also new to boating so be gental.......:)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim motor

check the main power cables for the trim pump.sometimes with corrosion you will get enough current to operate a solenoid but not pass enough current for a motor.you dont list a year so I`ll guess its a later style with 2 solenoids. there is a blue, green and black wire coming from the motor. using a jumper wire from the + side of the battery, touch the blue wire(up) ,then touch the green wire (down) and report your findings.

Re: Trim motor

check the main power cables for the trim pump.sometimes with corrosion you will get enough current to operate a solenoid but not pass enough current for a motor.you dont list a year so I`ll guess its a later style with 2 solenoids. there is a blue, green and black wire coming from the motor. using a jumper wire from the + side of the battery, touch the blue wire(up) ,then touch the green wire (down) and report your findings.

Sorry, it's a '87. I did as you said and to no prevail the motor did not kick on.:(