Replacing Lower Shift Cable "Help"

hunterny

Cadet
I'm replacing the lower shift cable in a Alpha 1 and having the trouble getting the cable back into the shift boot
is it better to take the boot off the transom and slide it on the cable then clamp the boot back on the transom
that little hole is way to tight.
thanks Lee

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Replacing Lower Shift Cable "Help"

Yes, it's best to put bellows on the cable loose from the transom, then screw the cable into the bellhousing, then clamp the bellows. I'd do a fresh bellows too, cheap thing and fresh is always good.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

+1 for a new shift cable bellows.... Really bad juju if that leaks...

Chris.....

Gpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When I replaced mine I first tried to shove the cable into the bellows with the bellows attached to the outdrive and it was a complete PITA. I then removed the bellows, shoved it up on the cable, then installed the entire assembly. MUCH easier. A little lubrication on the cable housing helps, too. Just make sure whatever you use is compatible with the rubber bellows, otherwise it could cause the bellows to disintegrate, and you'll be doing this again in a month. +1 for replacing the bellows too. I bought a kit that came with a new cable, housing, bellows, clamp, shift slider, gaskets, pretty much everything. I got it off Ebay for $56 if memory serves. Not sure if it was a genuine Mercruiser kit or aftermarket, but it worked fine for me.

hunterny

Cadet

Just a little tip when installing the cable everyone said use oil I found that Dish soap instead of oil works very well at getting that cable
into the shift bellows very slick!!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

until you need parts... :D :D :D :D

Yes, they are dear but I don't need them very often. I should change my signature. "Don't need no stinkin' cables, bellows, boots, u-joints, gimbal bearings and alignments"!:p

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Just a little tip when installing the cable everyone said use oil I found that Dish soap instead of oil works very well at getting that cable into the shift bellows very slick!!!

I've only ever used dishwashing liquid... I though everybody did....

Yes, they are dear but I don't need them very often. I should change my signature. "Don't need no stinkin' cables, bellows, boots, u-joints, gimbal bearings and alignments"!:p

I wasn't thinking of the price (but that's a good point :D), I was thinking more about the availability, or lack thereof... :p

:D :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

.....I wasn't thinking of the price (but that's a good point :D), I was thinking more about the availability, or lack thereof... :p:D :D

Chris, don't you ever sleep DownThere? You still spending time on the open sea?

Actually on the OMC Stringer, the forum has pointed out (over the years) that my fortune with them has been due to the fact that my boat is only occasionally a saltwater boat. My current outdrive is now 33 years old. It has hundreds of hours of pulling skiers with heavy loads in the boat. It underwent it's first teardown about 6 years ago when I had the motor out to redo the floor. There were a couple of shafts whose splines were well worn and were replaced. Otherwise the outdrive was functioning flawlessly.

Oh, and did I mention, in that period of time (until the last teardown) I only had the impeller replaced once, just out of general principals.

Aside from the fact that I have not had to deal with the complexity of the shifting transoms vs engine mounts and all the other factors I mentioned above, you can see why I am a diehard fan of the quick turning, high lifting OMC STRINGER outdrive. I just wish that OMC had been quicker to address the various issues that became their downfall.

btw, I am still running with the original boot. It shows no sign of degradation even after I removed it during the floor renovation.