New shift cable too long???

creatingchaos

Recruit
I have just replaced the shift cable on my 3.7 mercruiser alpha one, seemed simple enough, and everything seemed fine until we went on the water. the shifter was hanging up when coming up to neutral. so when i brought it home and investigated I ended up pulling the drive back off and the cable slide seems to travel way to far past the shift lever then hangs up on the way back in. even if adjusted all the way, still travels too far out. Am i going to have to cut the cable down?? :confused:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: New shift cable too long???

the new cables do not need trimming . recheck your work.

creatingchaos

Recruit

best video I've seen so far, thanks. But one problem i;m having is the assist cable has a different set up than that.?? mine has more of a clamp, and adjustment is different. every illustration i see has the barrel type adjustment.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Sounds like you have non-Merc cables.... Post a photo of the shift plate and cables...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Sounds like you have non-Merc cables.... Post a photo of the shift plate and cables...

Seirra cables need to be trimmed to spec's, and they don't hold up as well as mercury cables,I quit using sierra sevral year;s ago.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

no shift cables need to be trimmed anymore, they come the correct length. the cables are most likely Morse/TeleFlex Red Jackets
and if not properly located in the control box they will be long or short throws

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

mechanical-control-cable-58994.jpg