Which Carb Do I Have ?????

:facepalm::facepalm:
I had an engine swapped ut in my 1978 sea ray SRV240. It originally came with a mercruiser 260, when the guy changed it out he put a omc in it. now i need to purchase a carb for it and when i gave the guy the carb numbers he said it comes back as a omc linkage. but to me it looks like he just rigged it to work. should I buy a carb with omc or merc linkage?
2012-06-23_20-55-17_774.jpg2012-06-23_20-58-29_547.jpg

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: Which Carb Do I Have ?????

Why can't you use the original carb & linkage?
Use what you want! The problem is the action in the control box. If it's a merc control, it won't let the omc cooperate!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The cable and attachment for the cable bracket is mercruiser, is your shifter control box OMC? From neutral postion, the throttle cable needs to pull for wide open throttle.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

:facepalm:... Frankenmotors.. Don't you just love 'em!!! NOT!!!! :mad:

Well I was told the carb is omc by the numbers 17059286 and then the number underneath that number is 3186
How do i figure out which control box I have? Thanks

Don S

:facepalm::facepalm:
I had an engine swapped ut in my 1978 sea ray SRV240. It originally came with a mercruiser 260, when the guy changed it out he put a omc in it. now i need to purchase a carb for it and when i gave the guy the carb numbers he said it comes back as a omc linkage. but to me it looks like he just rigged it to work. should I buy a carb with omc or merc linkage?

Why do you have to purchase a new carb for it? What exactly is the problem you are having with that carb?

Post a picture of your control if you don't know what it is.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

if your engine is Mercruiser you most likely have the corrrect control box that pull open a carb.The carb numbers only mean the4 barrel was originally on a OMC application. Most likely a V-8 setup. The basic engine is the same GM v-8.

Well It is flooding out after sitting out in the waves fishing for a little while then it wont start for like an hour. Then going back into my dock it usually stalls and wont start up for another hour or so.. usually like 5 or so docks from my dock.Also I have a divorced choke and I would like to purchase a carb with a electric choke. I will send pick of control box a little later but I do believe it is a mercruiser because I dont think the guy changed it when he swapped the engine out. Thank You for all the help so far.

Don S

No need to worry about the shifter. I was under the impression you was having problems with the linkage.
If your linkage is working, replace it with the same kind of carb, Merc, OMC, doesn't really matter. To find one with an electric choke is going to have different linkage on it anyway.

if your engine is Mercruiser you most likely have the corrrect control box that pull open a carb.The carb numbers only mean the4 barrel was originally on a OMC application. Most likely a V-8 setup. The basic engine is the same GM v-8.

The guy who put the engine in said it was a omc engine he put in...