No power to fuel pump on 2006 crownline 305 (?) mercruiser

raymcfall

Recruit
I've ran a small electrical line from the battery to the fuel pump and it kicks in. Whenever builds pressure it shuts off, won't operate without manually putting power to it. Tried to locate a fuse box, but could not find the panel on boat or fuse inline.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: No power to fuel pump on 2006 crownline 305 (?) mercruiser

Ray that should be normal, once pressure builds thats it, start the motor, pressure drops and the pump should go again. It can't keep going all the time

Have you checked that your power is still on when the fuel pump is not? I mean with a DVM? I understand the thought that you are doing this with what you have but to say that your pump builds pressure and then turns off is much different then a bad connection know what I mean?

Also where are you located?

raymcfall

Recruit

Thank you for replying, I'm in northern ky.
Before anything was done the fuel pump was not getting power. Turned key on, no power to fuel pump, pulled fuel line and no fuel was pumping. So that's when took small pc of wire and ran from battery to fuel pump and it started working. So my problem is not getting power to fuel pump.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

ok then check under the helm for a fuse block

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Fuel pump relay ???? You have power to everything else I assume. There should be a relay back there somewhere near the fuel pump. It's a square box about 1" x 1". Trace the wires back from the pump and they will lead to it. Mine is right next to the master circuit breaker on top of the engine.

raymcfall

Recruit

Ok tht makes sense, will ck that out when get chance to make it over there. Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for replying, I'm in northern ky.
Before anything was done the fuel pump was not getting power. Turned key on, no power to fuel pump, pulled fuel line and no fuel was pumping. So that's when took small pc of wire and ran from battery to fuel pump and it started working. So my problem is not getting power to fuel pump.

Assuming this is a carbed engine and not MPI, the fuel pump isn't supposed to run when you turn the key is on. It's a safety feature required by CG regulations.
The fuel pump should come on when you crank the engine over with the starter, and once the engine starts the oil pressure builds up and an oil pressure switch closes and allows power the pump. There is no pressure switch in the fuel pump however, it should keep running as long as there is power to it.

Here is a wiring diagram that shows the wiring for the electric fuel pump.

Fuel Pump Wiring.jpg

I have moved this to the Mercruiser forum