which direction does the distributor point?

cutlass185

Cadet
a bit of a ridiculous question, but anyway, where the wires connect on the distributor, does that face the engine or does it face back? mercruiser 5.7 from 91. the wire side also has the rotor sensor.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: which direction does the distributor point?

It doesn't really matter.. What matters is that when the engine is at TDC on #1, the rotor on the distributor shaft is pointing at the plug lead for #1 on the distributor cap. When you have that, set the distributor in the engine block so the wires from the harness are located 'conveniently'....

Chris.........

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

What Chris says is absolutely correct. However - make sure you install the body of the distributor in such a way that you have plenty of room to turn the distributor in order to time it once it is fully seated.

cutlass185

Cadet

thats the issue i had, where the wires were were towards the intake so it was hard to turn. i switched it and still no fire! maybe i was unlucky enough to be 180 off four times today but i doubt it. also, the stud and nut on the bottom of the distributor, is that for a ground? i put one on it

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Did you just loosen off the clamp and turn the whole distributor body? If you wanted to relocate the distributor you have to turn the engine until it's at #1 TDC (compressions stroke), pull the distributor out completely, turn it to the orientation you want (without moving the shaft with relation to the body) and push it back into the engine block... Then fire it up and adjust the timing as per Hoyle....

Chris.....

markheck1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you checked for spark?
doesn't matter what position distributor is in if it isn't makin spark

cutlass185

Cadet

i didnt check for spark yesterday, someone had borrowed my tester and neglected to bring it back. just got a new one so will be testing shortly. i had lifted the entire assembly out before setting it rearward.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't need a tester to check for spark, just pull the coil wire out of the center of the distributor cap, hold it about 1/2" from a good clean ground (unpainted area on the block) and have someone crank the engine over. It should have a bright blue spark that snaps across the gap.

cutlass185

Cadet

well no spark, no voltage to coil when key is on.... time to trace wiring i guess!

cutlass185

Cadet

ended up being a simple wiring issue, an ignition switch wire pulled off when i removed the panel below the dash. its timed but running like crap, anything over 25mph and the engine shakes, almost like its not running on all cyinders but runs fine up to 25.... ugh annoyed!