I beg anyone to help

roadrunner71

Cadet
This is a 1989 Sea Ray WITH A 5.7 MERCRUISER and Alpha 1 Gen1 stern drive.Here goes. I removed my remote throttlle last fall to reupholster my boat interior over the winter. I also removed my stern drive for the winter. reupholstered the panel and reinstalled throttle. worked throttle, tested throttle only button, everything worked correctly. today I tried to install stern drive with throttle in forward position, and when it was in place the throttle would not return all the way to neutral, and forget about reverse. I unbolted the stern drive. worked the throttle again. Everything works properly. Installed the stern drive again and still the same problem. I'm about to lose my mind!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: I beg anyone to help

remove the drive and rotate the shift shoe. If you were standing behind the prop with the input shaft facing fwd, the brass shoe is in
a straight line in fwd, 12:00 o`clock, neutral turns clounterclockwise 11:00 o`clock and reverse turns counterclockwise to about 10:00 o`clock. If your shoe is turning clockwise (12,1,2) you need to split the drive and correctly locate the lower shaft to the upper shoe.

roadrunner71

Cadet

remove the drive and rotate the shift shoe. If you were standing behind the prop with the input shaft facing fwd, the brass shoe is in
a straight line in fwd, 12:00 o`clock, neutral turns clounterclockwise 11:00 o`clock and reverse turns counterclockwise to about 10:00 o`clock. If your shoe is turning clockwise (12,1,2) you need to split the drive and correctly locate the lower shaft to the upper shoe.

I originally tried that. But after your last post I tried it again, and no matter what I spline on the tower unit only wants to work clockwise. Being fwd 12, N 1, and Rev 2. Ive still have the drive split, what am I doing wrong.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I think you are kind of turned around here (what you THINK is reverse [2] is really forward). First thing rotate the lower shift shaft all the way clockwise. Turn the prop counterclockwise it should lock, if it does you are now in forward. Once there follow these instructions:

If the control is jammed and you are stuck in gear the gearhousing was in reverse and not forward when you put it together and the i ss is off a spline. Fix: drop the lower rotate the lower ss (small splined shaft in front) all the way clockwise (forward gear) and rotate the prop CCW until it locks and hold tension with a bungee to keep it locked in forward. Make sure the control is in forward and the bottom of the upper shift shaft is pointed straight ahead. Bolt it back together making sure the i ss washer is in place and the top of the i ss is pointed straight ahead. You should be good to go.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

pict0535j.jpg

This is a GEN II counter rotating unit. your drive in straight is fwd, going counterclockwise is neutral, going further counterclockwie is reverse.

roadrunner71

Cadet

I had it backwards. I'm not a complete idiot, only half on my fathers side. Thank you for your help Bt Doctur and Stonyloam. You guys are lifesavers. Literally.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend

choppywaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All I have to say is this site is awesome! These guys in here are the best, its nice to know you can count on help and good advice when in trouble.