Help with MerCruiser engine alignment

Chaka

Cadet
I realize that this post is almost identical to that of 1981century's, but that thread is pretty old, and his solution doesn't seem to apply to my predicament.

My friend and I have just replaced the engine in my 1995 Dynasty. (4.3L V-6, Alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive) I was careful not to disturb the front mounts, but when I tried the alignment bar it would only enter the coupler splines about a half-inch. I raised the mounts a turn at a time, and at about two and a half turns the alignment bar would go in and out with a bit of force. (Too much force according to my web research.) I had spline marks on the tool bottom only. We raised the engine a bit at a time until we were almost out of threads without noticing much change; the bar would still go all the way in with maybe a bit more force. Still heavy spline marks on the bottom and light to none on the top. It seems to me that if we went _too_ high, the bar should stop going in all the way. That's not what we're seeing. What am I missing? (If I seem to be a noob at this, I am; I have done lots of mechanical / machining work in the past, but this is my first boat project.) The engine install went smoothly, and the fiber washers that 1981century mentioned in his post are tight on both sides. Flywheel run-out was almost nonexistent. I have loosened and re-tightened the rear mount pins. I have tried going a turn or so higher on one side vs. the other. I have wiggled and re-seated the gimbal bearing. Getting ready to loosen all the mounts, pick up on the engine with the hoist and 'shake' it a bit.

How much adjustment (in turns or fractions of turns) should I expect from 'not aligned' to 'aligned'? (How sensitive is this adjustment?)

Is there another issue that I might be missing? I had the Merc. tech at the place I buy my parts examine the coupler, and he pronounced it good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! We missed being on the water last summer due to a cracked engine block, and I really don't want to miss this summer as well. (It is _hot_ here in Texas!)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with MerCruiser engine alignment

Have never noticed the fibre washer tight unless the rear mounts were shot or it was incorrectly assembled.

Chaka

Cadet

These video's should help explain it.

A little off

Perfect Alignment

I have indeed seen those two videos and while they give an idea of what to look for when correct, they say nothing about what was done to reach that point. Additionally the author of the videos, when asked about it, simply suggested to ask elsewhere.

How do you know which way to turn the engine mount adjustments when you can insert with a degree of force the engine alignment tool the full distance.
How much or little do you turn them when you're at the point between the videos? At the point where you can first fully insert the tool?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Getting the alignment close enough to start using the alignment tool is done visually.... Use a flashlight and look in through the gimbal bearing... You'll see the splines of the coupler... With the front of the engine on a chain block and the lower nuts on the mounts wound all the way down, lower the engine slowly until the coupler appears to be pretty close to alignment (It's quite obvious when you're looking in). Once it's close stop on the chain block and wind the bottom nuts up until they just touch the bottom of the engine mount. This is where you start with the alignment tool....

Here's another video for you to watch :D....

Checking alignment: http://youtu.be/w118LGsYgY4

Chris.......

tpenfield

Staff member

Check to be sure that the engine mount arms are tight to the engine block. If they are a bit loose, you will get some sagging and the engine will be lower than it is supposed to be.

If you are still running out of threads on the engine mount studs, then inspect the stringer areas where the engine mounts rest, if you have lag bolts holding the engine mounts. If they look like they are sinking into the stringer a bit, then there are some other problems with the stringer that will derail your installation.

If you have thru-bolted engine mounts ("L" brackets"), make sure they are tight to the stringer.

If all else fails and the stringers, etc are good, then you *could* raise the engine mounts with some large SS fender washers. This will get you back into the adjustment range.

The 'Australian' video is the better of the videos referenced here for your purposes, since it gives you some guidance on which direction to move the mounts, etc.. I recently installed and aligned my engine and had some question in my mind of which way to move the mounts, based on what I was seeing on the alignment tool. Once the engine is in alignment, the tool will go in dramatically easier, as Jay demonstrates in his videos.

When I installed my engine, I had to move the engine a 'smidge' to starboard, as I was getting heavier grease marks slightly on the side of the tool. Once we gave the engine a shove, the tool went right in. When I installed the outdrive, it too slid right in.

Chaka

Cadet

Okay, guys, here's the latest after two days of tweaking engine mounts:

We cannot get the alignment tool to enter / exit smoothly no matter what. Spline marks in the grease _do_ seem to change with engine rotation.

Before you say, "Replace the drive coupling!" let me ask this: What will we damage by running it like this? The drive coupling? That's already bad. (maybe) The drive shaft? That is an additional $45.00. Is there any other reason not to just bolt it back together and hope for the best?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... What will we damage by running it like this? The drive coupling? That's already bad. (maybe) The drive shaft? That is an additional $45.00. Is there any other reason not to just bolt it back together and hope for the best?

Add to the list uni-joints, gimbal bearing and possibly the bearings in the front of the drive-shaft housing.... Why not just fix it properly?

tpenfield

Staff member

It all depends on how much force you need to apply to get the alignment tool and presumably the drive shaft into the coupler. If you are splitting hairs, then it may be OK. If there is a significant amount of force or the tool will not go in all the way, but somehow, you get it all back together. Then, the coupler will probably wear out and take a few things with it.

1983 j10

Cadet

think about this if you put it back together with a bad coupler and it comes apart while your in a full cruise across the water do you think the drive shaft is just going to stop spinning or keep going. you have a couple pounds of weight spinning at say 3,000rpm's my bet is youll be swimming back to the dock with out a boat under you.