shift cable alignment

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have read the sticky and followed the alignment procedure there.

I did the alignment and when I push my throttle all the way in forward it locks in counter clockwise and spins clockwise freely go to neutral and it spins both ways and in reverse locks clockwise and spins free counter clockwise.

I was wanting to know at what point when moving the shifter should the prop lock up? Should it be as soon as you move the throttle off neutral or the first detint or farther forward?

With all this in mind I took the boat to the lake wouldn't go into gear forward or reverse anyone that would have any idea why that it wont go into gear?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: shift cable alignment

could use some background on why your trying to adjust it, but it sounds like the coupler is spun. prop has the correct lockup.

rickryder

Commander

Could even be a bad driven or drive gear in the upper unit.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had replaced the motor a few weeks ago got the boat to the lake last week had some trouble getting it off the trailer wasnt sure why at first after getting out on the lake realized even in neutral it was still turning the prop and that when i got it in drive could get it out with out shutting down the motor. Thought it could be the alignment causing the shift interrupter not working correctly. I dont think It is the coupler cause it was working fine last weekend as far as pushing the boat up the lake and back to the trailer.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

check the oil in the drive
with a helper and THE KEY IN YOUR POCKET shift into fwd and stand on a prop blade and try to turn it counterclockwise.
if the input shaft moves behind the engine the coupler is stripped. If the prop turns and the inputshaft does not move you have outdrive trouble.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok found the problem kinda the lower cable had come loose from the i guess for a better lack of a word the jacket that hooks to the shift plate. After reinstalling it and tightning the two lock down screws it will go into forward and into neutral but when i try to go to reverse then engine dies once again i think pointing at the shift interupter. I may try another alignment. After the alignment when should i see the interrupter switch activate?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

the interupter should only activate coming OUT OF GEAR in the water WITH A LOAD ON THE PROP.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so as i pull the throttle from drive to neutral and from reverse to neutral it should active the interrupter switch ?

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks i will check it out tomorrow if it doesnt work that way what should i look at as the problem