Throttle body availability?

Primo321

Seaman
It was just suggested that I could replace my 1969 mercruiser 3.0 140 hp carburetor with a throttle body? Anyone had success with this? Where to get parts? I would love never to think about carburation again...

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Throttle body availability?

Well considering that GM never used throttle body injection on that engine, I am pretty sure there is no such thing as a throttle body for it. That engine was last installed in a car in the 1960's. And Mercruiser and Volvo Penta haven't used a TBI system on it either .

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It was just suggested that I could replace my 1969 mercruiser 3.0 140 hp carburetor with a throttle body? Anyone had success with this? Where to get parts? I would love never to think about carburation again...

Carburetors are the best if you know how to tweek them. I have 2 sons with boats and mine ar eall carbs and run FANTASTIC. Find someone who really knows and get it rebuilt and you will be a happy camper.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I've had carbed engines and I currently have an MPI... For my money, MPI is SOOO much better... More power, better fuel economy, more reliable, less maintenance, more FUN...

But what the other guys have said is correct, there is no throttle body for the 3 litre.... You can buy a new MPI 3 litre, but I guess that's not what you want....

Chris......

Primo321

Seaman

I figured there wouldn't be any available. I can rebuild the carb, but with all the $ I have put into this engine I thought it may be worth seeing if anyone else had successfully converted.

Thanks All.

TilliamWe

Banned

No conversions. Heck, Merc and VP just added multi port fuel injection to them last year! 2011, and the motor first came out in what 1962? Plus you'd need a computer to run it, and there is no computer for a 3.0 either. Sorry.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... Merc and VP just added multi port fuel injection to them last year! 2011, ....

And had it not been for pollution laws they would still only be available with carbies...

Chris.......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It was just suggested that I could replace my 1969 mercruiser 3.0 140 hp carburetor with a throttle body? .

People suggest things all the time. It's a shame you decided to pursue something that doesn't exist, was never used in a marine 3.0L by any manufacturer, and impossible to adapt from the automotive side.

Volvo even gave up on the MPI, and no longer sells a 3.0L because it won't pass EPA regs and stay working.
Stick with your carb and learn how to fix it.