Milky Oil

puckduck1

Cadet
I have a 1973 165 I6 with milky oil

Freeze plugs are intact
No water in the bilge
Spark plugs look normal - None have been fouled, steam cleaned or anything out of the ordinary.
Water is not pouring, squirting or spraying out from anywhere that I can see

Ran up and down the river for at least 30 minutes and only saw the oil rise about 1 MM on the dipstick.
Engine ran a little rough (previous owner used autolite plugs)
Water temp is 140 - 145
Oil Pressure a little too high for my taste

Question is Cracked Block, Blown Head Gasket or What?

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Milky Oil

I am not a mechanical guru, but I would think a cylinder compression test followed by a cylinder leak down test would be a good start to figure out where the problem lies.
Alan

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Where are you located? Did you winterize by draining the block AND manifold completely and leaving it empty, or did you refill with anti-freeze? Was this the first trip out after de-winterizing?

It doesn't take a big crack to allow enough water into a crankcase to emulsify the oil....

Chris....

puckduck1

Cadet

Southern Michigan, the guy I got it from said he winterized (have receipt) and had it out in May (or so he says)

achris

Hmmmm... Are there consumer protection laws in Michigan?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ran up and down the river for at least 30 minutes and only saw the oil rise about 1 MM on the dipstick.

Is that 1mm correct? Not sure how anyone is going to notice a single mm of oil rise on a dipstick.

Drain the cooling system, block the water hose to the exhaust manifold and pressure test the block.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 1973 165 I6 with milky oil

Freeze plugs are intact
No water in the bilge
Spark plugs look normal - None have been fouled, steam cleaned or anything out of the ordinary.
Water is not pouring, squirting or spraying out from anywhere that I can see

Engine ran a little rough (previous owner used autolite plugs)
Water temp is 140 - 145
Oil Pressure a little too high for my taste

Question is Cracked Block, Blown Head Gasket or What?

Ayuh,... Cracked block is My guess...

achris

Ayuh,... Cracked block is My guess...

Mine too... I don't care what the guy said, or even the receipts he can produce... Freezing temperature + water in the oil, almost always = cracked block....

Chris........

puckduck1

Cadet

I agree with the cracked block theory, I put it out on the water today and the oil level went up drastically and it ran like poo. Luckily I have a machinist/engine guy in my neighborhood and he is going to help me out in the rebuild.

If I wouldn't have gotten such a geat deal on a very solid old SlickCraft, I would really be pissed.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the cracked block theory, I put it out on the water today and the oil level went up drastically and it ran like poo. Luckily I have a machinist/engine guy in my neighborhood and he is going to help me out in the rebuild.

Hmmmmmmm From your original post I thought you already did that.

puckduck1

Cadet

I was leaning in that direction(cracked block), but the first time out, it really didn't run that bad and I was kinda of hoping it was something else. I guess I was in denial. Next up is to find a good block and start the rebuild process.

Yanking the motor is going to be tough isn't it?