Engine re install.

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am nearly done with the stringer/transom/deck replacement on my Sangster 21. I6 with MC1 outdrive. Does anyone have any advice for the re install of the engine for me? The front mount was lag screwed to the engine bed originally(as I found it any way). On re install do I gently lower the engine onto the transom mount, try to adjust front mount until test bar fits and then drill and bolt the mount down? Any tips from those who have done this before? Please and thanks.
Alan

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Engine re install.

... On re install do I gently lower the engine onto the transom mount, try to adjust front mount until test bar fits and then drill and bolt the mount down? .

Yes, but I don't bother with an alignment tool at that point, I just use a flashlight (looking at the coupler through the gimbal bearing) and get it close enough.... Then you can do the final adjustment (with the aligning tool) with the adjusting nut on the front mount...

Chris.....

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks achris. Visually square up the engine and bolt down eh. Sounds good. Is the lag screw a typical install? I wondered (too late of course) if I should have bedded in a piece of SS and then I could have drilled and tapped for the mount.
Alan

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

front lags are quite common. drop in the motor, tighten rear mounts, adjust alignment, install front lags, install drive.

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bt Doctur. I purchased new rear engine bolts with fancy spring/fiber washer. How do I know if the engine rubber mount is toast? It "looks" to be ok. Could someone explain the function of the spring washer (looks like small section of a die spring) and fiber washer. Why are they so critically important?
Thanks
Alan

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

They are critical to engine alignment, the funny looking one is a "double wound", fibre washer acts as a shock absorber and a tell-tale if the rear mounts go loose and drop down. The coupler is destroyed silently.You`ll know when you lose the connection and the rpms go up.Engine removal is required for repairs.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The mounts you have in (if they are original) are at least 30 years old (the last 165 was 1981)... With the in-line engines the rear mounts bear a high load.. (V engines have most of the weight on the solid side mounts)... I replaced the mounts on my old 165 when it was 20 years old, because they had sagged. At what they cost and the ease at which they can be replaced in the future, I would be replacing them RIGHT NOW!!! The cost of NOT replacing them could be the engine coupler.... Ouch!!!

Chris........
Oh, and I'd replace the front mount at the same time....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Just a note - you probably did it already, but just in case.... On the front mount make sure you turn the adjusting nut and clean the threads while you have it off. You want to make sure it is easy to turn when it comes time to adjusting it. Makes the job MUCH easier.