• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

alpha one outdrive gears stripped????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alpha one outdrive gears stripped????

I pulled my alpha one outdrive off my chaparral with the 454 magnum engine. It was locked up, but the engine turned fine after I pulled it. I got the u joint assembly (coming from the engine) to turn by hand, but it is very rough, like some grit in the gears. When I turn the u joint assembly the drive shaft that goes down to the lower unit does not turn. If i turn the shift lever to one side or the other, the prop will lock in gear, but extremely hard to turn. It seems like it would be a bad gear assembly in the upper unit, but I am wondering if I might have some problems in the lower unit as well. Also, the shifter "shaft" seems to move up and down about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Is that amount of play normal? I have never worked on an outdrive before so I am trying to minimize what I take apart so I have less chance of screwing anything up. Any help would be really appreciated!!

Re: alpha one outdrive gears stripped????

time for a new one;look here; www.sterndrive.cc

Comment

Originally posted by freddieusa View Post
      I pulled my alpha one outdrive off my chaparral with the 454 magnum engine. It was locked up, but the engine turned fine after I pulled it. I got the u joint assembly (coming from the engine) to turn by hand, but it is very rough, like some grit in the gears. When I turn the u joint assembly the drive shaft that goes down to the lower unit does not turn. If i turn the shift lever to one side or the other, the prop will lock in gear, but extremely hard to turn. It seems like it would be a bad gear assembly in the upper unit, but I am wondering if I might have some problems in the lower unit as well. Also, the shifter "shaft" seems to move up and down about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Is that amount of play normal? I have never worked on an outdrive before so I am trying to minimize what I take apart so I have less chance of screwing anything up. Any help would be really appreciated!!
      There's your problem... Time to bite the big one and cop for a Bravo set-up....
      The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...

1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
      2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
      Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
      Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

Comment

Shifter shaft movement is pretty normal.

However, I agree that your unit is toast. If you drain the gear oil, pull the top off, I'd guess you'll see your problem right there.

While expensive, replacement is the only way to go. Rebuilding these things takes expensive special tools, and they add up to nearly the cost of a whole new unit when you factor in replacement parts. Maybe if you're lucky you can just buy an upper unit - hard to say for sure from across the interweb.
        Curt S
        My $500 outlay 4.3l engine replacement story: Click HERE
        1988 Sea Ray Seville 20' Story: Click HERE
        1989 Sea Ray Seville 20' Parts Boat - Demolition thread: Click HERE
        1981 Tuffy Rampage 174 w/30hp Johnson

Comment

So I am thinking about just replacing the upper unit, but i dont know what the ratio is. Is there a way to tell or should I go with a specific ratio with the 454 engine? Also, if I can find a bravo unit for a reasonable price, will it match up to the alpha equipment that is still on the boat?

Comment

So I am thinking about just replacing the upper unit, but i dont know what the ratio is. Is there a way to tell or should I go with a specific ratio with the 454 engine? Also, if I can find a bravo unit for a reasonable price, will it match up to the alpha equipment that is still on the boat?
            Ayuh,... If ya replace Just the Upper, you can expect the lower to puke in a day or two,...
            All the ground up gears from the upper, are now in the lower....

The 454 used 1.32:1 gears, which are now NLA... yer only choice is 1.50:1....

Yer Best choice is a Complete SEI drive....

No,.... A Bravo will Not fit yer Alpha 1 transom...
            Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

I really appreciate all the help. I did pull the top off and sure enough the gears are chewed up. Right now I am going to try to find a inexpensive used outdrive. Just a couple of more questions... How can I tell what the ratio is on an outdrive? Are there numbers stamped somewhere on the outside? Also, if I can find one, will it just mount up or will I need to do any adjusting or aligning?

Comment

I'm pretty sure it is stamped someplace, although I don't remember exactly where. I think on the port side just under the sticker. I'm sure one of the experts will jump in with one of the 1000 pictures they keep handy for these types of questions.

As far as adjusting or aligning - technically there is nothing you have to do. However, while you have it off, it might not be a bad idea to check the engine alignment.
                Curt S
                My $500 outlay 4.3l engine replacement story: Click HERE
                1988 Sea Ray Seville 20' Story: Click HERE
                1989 Sea Ray Seville 20' Parts Boat - Demolition thread: Click HERE
                1981 Tuffy Rampage 174 w/30hp Johnson

Comment

Checking alignment: http://youtu.be/w118LGsYgY4
                  The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...

1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
                  2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
                  Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
                  Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

Comment

You can always put it in gear and turn the driveshaft and count the revolutions of the prop shaft to determine the ratio.

Comment

Right now I am going to try to find a inexpensive used outdrive...
                      BAD idea. Your 454 Magnum in front of an Alpha was only done a few years, until Mercruiser could get the Bravo series drive developed. A used drive will NOT last.

For under $1500 you will get a BRAND NEW SEI drive (right here on iboats) and I think they'll even still offer the 3 year no-fault warranty, even behind a 454. It's a no brainer. The "only" problem you'll have is that you currently have a 1.32 ratio, and you can't get that anymore. You'll have to go to a 1.5 (or 1.47 nowadays), and you'll need a new prop. You're prop pitch will go up in number, probably about 2 inches.

Comment

Working...
                      X