Help identifying a part.

Howdy all! Hoping to find some help identifying what the cover(?) I've circled in the picture is. It has four bolts down the middle and I noticed a couple of them were loose. What is this cover for and what should the bolts be torqued to/how tight do they need to be?

boat.jpg

Thanks!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Help identifying a part.

That is the cam follower (also called lifters) cover, or side plate/cover and yes, the bolts should be tight....About 6-7 ft.lb.

Chris........

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Are they leaking oil ? If not leave em b not sure of the torque. Thier the valve lifter covers. Not sure of the torque but it's most likely 30 ftlbs? if thier not leaking leave em B.

Thanks guys. They were leaking a little bit so I'll try tightening them up and hopefully that'll help. Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Achris answered with the proper torque. there is no way that the side plate fasteners would make it to 30 lb-ft.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When those leak, unless the bolts are loose (highly unlikely) they need new seals. Seals and gaskets go bad and leak.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Howdy all! Hoping to find some help identifying what the cover(?) I've circled in the picture is. It has four bolts down the middle and I noticed a couple of them were loose. What is this cover for and what should the bolts be torqued to/how tight do they need to be?

Thanks!

When those leak, unless the bolts are loose (highly unlikely) they need new seals. Seals and gaskets go bad and leak.

Bit more likely when he says they ARE loose? :D :D :D Time for some sleep Don... ;)

Thanks guys! I started to tighten them and it sure didn't seem like it was possible to get them very tight without bending stuff so I figured I'd ask before I made a bigger mess of things.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Give them a snug. if not leaking they will later on. Big Don post makes sense. Buy a new gasket, it's cheap.