Leakiing gear oil again

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class
92 Alpha One Gen II leaking oil from the water intake as well as what seem to me from behind the drive maybe from the bellows. If so I am assuming it would be the drive bellows and from what I understand it is the upper oil seal I need to replace which I have the kit for, just need to learn myself how to do it. I have replaced everything on the lower half, and I know I need to do a pressure test and I'm sure once I figure it out it will make more sense to me. Is there a particular way to check and see if the bellows are good or not as well as the gimbal bearing or will it be obvious or should I just bite the bullet and replace it all? Any insight appreciated. The lower half was enough of a challange for me although not as bad as I thought, but for some reason the top half really scares me...

Thanks,
Eric

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Leakiing gear oil again

If you've successfully stripped and re-sealed the lower, then the upper will be a walk in the park...

Bellows are checked visually and tactility.... Turn the steering full one way and check the exposed section of bellows, then turn full the other way and check again. On gen IIs, pay particular attention to the spot that touches the end of the hinge pins, that is usually the first place that wears through...

For the gimbal bearing, stick your hand in there and give the bearing a spin... If it's got ANY roughness, then replace it...

Chris......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

After you make a repair and put the drive back together. You MUST do another pressure check to make certain all the repairs worked, and nothing new is showing up. Just because you put a new seal in something doesn't mean the still couldn't leak.

achris

After you make a repair and put the drive back together. You MUST do another pressure check to make certain all the repairs worked, and nothing new is showing up. Just because you put a new seal in something doesn't mean the still couldn't leak.

Of course he did a pressure test on the re-sealed lower ;)... That's just S.O.P..... (I hope...)

Chris.........

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did the kiddie pool version that someone had previously mentioned on here. :D

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put it in a small kiddie pool pumped it up with air and looked for bubbles, if this was dumb bear with me still learning. :0)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Put it in a small kiddie pool pumped it up with air and looked for bubbles, if this was dumb bear with me still learning. :0)

It's kind of hard on ujoints, and the yoke that the input shaft seal rides on. They are steel, not sealed against being underwater, and can and will rust, which causes them to need to be replaced.

achris

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no doubt, i would like to post pics of my drive on here but cannot figure out how to from my iPhone

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just realized your from Australia Chris. I went to Washington DC a few days back which is about an hour from me and also where my work is based out of and i got to see the Royal Australian Navy band play with the US Navy band play while sitting on the US Capitol steps. It was pretty cool and your Navy played Down Under which the crowd thoughts was really cool. Just thought I'd share :D

achris

I just realized your from Australia Chris. I went to Washington DC a few days back which is about an hour from me and also where my work is based out of and i got to see the Royal Australian Navy band play with the US Navy band play while sitting on the US Capitol steps. It was pretty cool and your Navy played Down Under which the crowd thoughts was really cool. Just thought I'd share :D

"Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover."

:) ;)

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My fav is actually "Overkill", but the whole thing was a really cool experience just the same.

achris

I like just about anything Men at Work did... But yes, 'Overkill' is a great one....

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like just about anything Men at Work did... But yes, 'Overkill' is a great one....

I was playing bass in a band covering their songs about 10 years ago

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One of these days I will make my way there, hope sooner than later, maybe if I stop dumping so much money in this boat :rolleyes:

achris

One of these days I will make my way there, hope sooner than later, maybe if I stop dumping so much money in this boat :rolleyes:

Come say hello... I'm on the west coast, Perth...

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I make it there I definitely will