Silly question about trim.

twiggy2cents

Seaman Apprentice
I have a simple question. On a alpha 1 gen 1 is full trim up considered trailer or just trimmed up. In other words, does it hurt it to run full trim up? There is no gauge btw. If I need to provide more info just ask.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Silly question about trim.

there is a measurement for maximum travel to trim limit, 21- 3/4 inches nut to nut. As long as you stay withing the transom ears at you max trim ,your ok. Outside the ears and you can twist the drive completely off.

starwriter

Banned

Trailor is trailor.Trim is trim.Not the same.As for your question,(does it hurt it to run full trim up?)
My question first would by "Why"?
If you want to be at the bottom of the lake go right ahead.
If it's a sterndrive you have.You won't be getting any water with it up & burn it up.Sterndrives run's by drive shaft.Outside of that drive shaft it a rubber boot called a bellows.With the trim up causes the bellows to bend.If running/operating the transmission with trim up will cause the drive shaft U-Joint to rub the inside of the bellows.will put you at the bottom of the lake less then 3 minutes.Causing a 3-4 inch hole rip in your boat.How fast can you bail water?You never ever operate the transmission with the trim up.If your asking this question that you are.99.9 % you have already did.Better replace your bellows

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you have the controls with up and down then a separate trailer button?

I have a separate trailer button ... When ever I put the boat in the water I start it in this position but trim down after I get past the shallows (idle speed basically)

When on plane I have never touched the trailer button no point really im fairly sure their was a reason there are two settings but im no expert.

twiggy2cents

Seaman Apprentice

The only reason I ask is that I let it warm up on the muffs at idle with it a little less than full trim. There is NO trailer button for mine. The drive shaft bellows would be the big round one right?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I`ll bite, Why can`t you lower it all the way?

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same issue with my muffs. My trailer sits extreemly low in the rear. Lower than any others I have seen. However Im still able to lower it enough (skeg sits on the ground) to get it out of the trailer mode.

BT would their be a problem starting it on the muffs in the trailer mode as long as you dont put the drive in gear?

twiggy2cents

Seaman Apprentice

Let me clarify, I did it once before I found out that it could cause issues. Regardless of the fact, I wont be doing it again. I just wanted to make sure that I was able to squeak by this time(hopefully). It ran for like 10 minutes at idle and fast idle
and the boots are pretty new.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

My trim/trailer is the same button. I just have to press the trim up really hard to engage it further and it will then trim all the way up.

Really stumped me the first time out! :facepalm:

twiggy2cents

Seaman Apprentice

It is a 89 Arriva if that even matters, from playing with it I havent found a trailer function. I have these little snap on plastic locks for the rams.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

post some pics using photobucket ,it will help.
A hint to those who say the trailer is too low to lower the drive enough at home , make some ramps to drive it up on and over or ramps to back it up on .Running in full trailer will destroy the U joints not to mention the transom housing itself.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I have a separate trailer button ... When ever I put the boat in the water I start it in this position but trim down after I get past the shallows (idle speed basically).

bad ju-ju.... IMHO...Not good to run the drive while trailered up at any time! U-joint life severely shortened. I back the boat/trailer into the water, trim down (to a mark on my gauge, basically into the trim upper limit range), start up, back-off, then trim down some more. Coming out of water, I trim up to upper trim limit, pull onto trailer, turn off motor, then use trailer button to the stop.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

BT would their be a problem starting it on the muffs in the trailer mode as long as you dont put the drive in gear?

Yes there would. Being in gear or not has NOTHING to do with it. To clarify: The driveshaft is coupled directly to the engine and turns anytime the engine is running along with the upper gears the vertical driveshaft and impeller. All putting it in gear does is engage the gears that drive the propshaft. So never run the engine with the outdrive in the trailer position.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

10 inch jackstands under the trailer axle allows me to go straight up and down with the drive for running on muffs, checking the drive oil level, and for putting the drive on my drive cart for straight-in removal and installation. Sweet. Oh, and I usually keep my drive lowered this way when stored on the trailer in the garage, for less stress on the bellows.

twiggy2cents

Seaman Apprentice

So I got this boat last saturday, the guy said the up trim didnt work and you had to use the rocker switches on the other side of the remote. Turns out that up is trailer (btw the up limit is adjusted properly he just didnt know that is how it worked) So I was actually in trailer mode. Reading the mercruiser workshop manual it states to do no more than idle in trailer mode(their words not mine) so that helps me feel a little better in that I dont think I caused any damage for idling for 10 minutes with muffs.

I am glad I figured out how it works though.

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bad ju-ju.... IMHO...Not good to run the drive while trailered up at any time! U-joint life severely shortened. I back the boat/trailer into the water, trim down (to a mark on my gauge, basically into the trim upper limit range), start up, back-off, then trim down some more. Coming out of water, I trim up to upper trim limit, pull onto trailer, turn off motor, then use trailer button to the stop.

That is basically what I was trying to say. LOL after re reading it I realize I didnt quite explain it correct. However I have started it a few time on the trailer with it in the trailer position but lowered imediately after start up.

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reading the mercruiser workshop manual it states to do no more than idle in trailer mode(their words not mine) so that helps me feel a little better in that I dont think I caused any damage for idling for 10 minutes with muffs.

I am glad I figured out how it works though.

Makes two of us.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

....running/operating the transmission with trim up will cause the drive shaft U-Joint to rub the inside of the bellows....will put you at the bottom of the lake less then 3 minutes..

Bollocks!!!

Just for information... (and here's a reason why you WOULD run the engine in the full up position)...

I sometimes run out of a little place about 300 miles south (called Walpole, if you want to look it up), and to get from the inlet to the ocean involves a bar crossing... I MUST trim the leg right up or it will foul on the bar... I idle across the bar (with the boat keel just bouncing on the bottom), trim the leg down once I'm in deeper water and head out.... I have to do the same on the way in, only the waves are behind me now and control to stop broaching is 'interesting' :D....

I have done this with 2 different engines, I have had friends follow me out, and they do the same thing... I have NEVER had to replace a bellows because the unis torn it up....

Geez, some people do talk rubbish!

Chris...........

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bollocks!!!

Just for information... (and here's a reason why you WOULD run the engine in the full up position)...

I sometimes run out of a little place about 300 miles south (called Walpole, if you want to look it up), and to get from the inlet to the ocean involves a bar crossing... I MUST trim the leg right up or it will foul on the bar... I idle across the bar (with the boat keel just bouncing on the bottom), trim the leg down once I'm in deeper water and head out.... I have to do the same on the way in, only the waves are behind me now and control to stop broaching is 'interesting' :D....

I have done this with 2 different engines, I have had friends follow me out, and they do the same thing... I have NEVER had to replace a bellows because the unis torn it up....

Geez, some people do talk rubbish!

Chris...........

Thanks for the input chris. I have a few spots like that around me also but in the potomac. Most of the time its ok but all depends on the tide as to if we have to trim up or not. Granet we barely ever go to those places anymore but at least I know if we do it shouldnt be an issue.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

post some pics using photobucket ,it will help.
A hint to those who say the trailer is too low to lower the drive enough at home , make some ramps to drive it up on and over or ramps to back it up on .Running in full trailer will destroy the U joints not to mention the transom housing itself.

Thats what I do three 1x6's staggered and that's all it takes to clear