Frozen shift cable!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
This is for a Merc 898 circa 1978. Taking off the winter wrap (under cover all winter) the lower/rear shift cable is frozen. We disconnected the cable from the throttle control and it is free.

You have to remove the outdrive to replace the cable. How do you do this when you cannot shift the outdrive into reverse? We do not know if this is the early style or late style cable.

I'll have another post on the frozen steering cable.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Frozen shift cable!

Several ways, easiest is drop the lower unit, then pull the upper.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

This is for a Merc 898 circa 1978. Taking off the winter wrap (under cover all winter) the lower/rear shift cable is frozen. We disconnected the cable from the throttle control and it is free.

You have to remove the outdrive to replace the cable. How do you do this when you cannot shift the outdrive into reverse? We do not know if this is the early style or late style cable.

I'll have another post on the frozen steering cable.

Hey Boomer.... Long time no see...

Yeah, What Don said... Once you drop the lower the intermediate shift shaft will drop out of the shoe in the upper shift shaft... Then you can get the upper off the bell-housing...

Chris......
Hey man, where you been lurking?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey Boomer.... Long time no see...

Hey man, where you been lurking?

Hi ac, I spend a bit of time down in the non-boat technical section and over at a Mustang forum. I started using my long ignored '65 Convertible in local parades, carrying various dignitaries, and have been doing some enhancements to it. Good to see you Mate!

Bondo

Staff member

Hi ac, I spend a bit of time down in the non-boat technical section and over at a Mustang forum. I started using my long ignored '65 Convertible in local parades, carrying various dignitaries, and have been doing some enhancements to it. Good to see you Mate!

Ayuh,.... You movin' over to the Darkside Boomer,..??

I thought you were an ole OMC, Stringer guy,..?? ;) :D