exhaust bellows failure

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced my exhaust bellows along with the shift cable and u joint bellows went out one time and the exhaust bellows was shredded when i got back.

I did have an major engine failure (broke a rod) but don't believe it over heated would anything other than over heating cause this failure the first time out.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: exhaust bellows failure

I replaced my exhaust bellows along with the shift cable and u joint bellows went out one time and the exhaust bellows was shredded when i got back.

Just out of curiosity, was it a Mallory bellows?

The exhaust bellows has nothing to do with our problem. The boat would run fine with no damage if you you forgot to put the exhaust bellows on.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I know it didnt cause my engine failure just wondered if maybe the engine failure could have killed the exhaust bellows. ie from heat or something. Not sure if it was a mallory got it from ebasic power GLM89100

G22inSC

Seaman

The boat would run fine with no damage if you you forgot to put the exhaust bellows on.

I have been told by people who actually advise to loosen the exhaust bellows and leave it "un-attached" to the stern drive. They swear it will run better that way; however, I have been leery of doing so. Are they right? Should we loosen them and let 'em hang?

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have been told by people who actually advise to loosen the exhaust bellows and leave it "un-attached" to the stern drive. They swear it will run better that way; however, I have been leery of doing so. Are they right? Should we loosen them and let 'em hang?

Mercruiser (and others) sells an "exhaust tube" that only secures to the transom side and not the drive side. Supposed to allow more exhaust flow, if needed. Only downside is there can be some exhaust smell when on plane because all the exhause does not exit the prop and the sound level usually increase when on plane. Ironically, the exhaust tube costs more than the bellows for 1/3rd the material and 1/10th the complexity. Go figure.

I wouldn't leave the "bellows" disconnected on 1 end, as it is longer than the tube and will actually restrict the exhaust with the drive fully down and not lined up with the exhaust port on the drive unit.
Bellows = attach both ends
Tube = only attach on transom side.

BTW, I have some who have actaully left the bellows off completely and all will run just fine. I just don't like the idea of the exhaust blowing against the driveshaft bellows, which "COULD" effect the life span of that one not designed for heat or possible deteriation for gasses in contact with it, and if it fails, you got big problems.