having trouble with cork gimbal housing gasket. Mc-1

harman79

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to mount the the gimbal housing to the transom. It uses a cork gasket not rubber. I have had this thing on and off 5 times but the top of the gasket will not stay in place. When I go to tighten it up it wants to slide in. I glued it to the housing but still moved. Any one ever done one and have some ideas so that it will not move when I try to tighten it down.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: having trouble with cork gimbal housing gasket. Mc-1

I am trying to mount the the gimbal housing to the transom. It uses a cork gasket not rubber. I have had this thing on and off 5 times but the top of the gasket will not stay in place. When I go to tighten it up it wants to slide in. I glued it to the housing but still moved. Any one ever done one and have some ideas so that it will not move when I try to tighten it down.

Ayuh,.... Is the transom fiberglass, 'n wood, Perfectly Parallel, 'n True over the Whole area covered by the housing, 'n plate,..??
'tween 2", 'n 2, 1/4",..??

It's gotta be Dead Flat...

harman79

Seaman Apprentice
Re: having trouble with cork gimbal housing gasket. Mc-1

Well I went and checked the thickness and yes I vary from 2" to 1 7/8". I think this is the problem like you said bond. I will post in resto section to get some tips on how to repair. thanks.