sea sprite 4.3 v6 engine swap

reysafn

Cadet
I have a 1984 sea sprite with a 4.3 v 6 chevy motor in it. I need to put a new motor and and I was wondering if I could use a vortec motor from a 96 chevy pickup as long as I swap out the intake. is this possible?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: sea sprite 4.3 v6 engine swap

it is possible with some things to look for.

you have to strip the pickup motor down to block and heads, install brass core plugs, and I suggest a marine cam.
you will then need a vortec intake and to bolt on all your marine stuff from the '84
you will need to find and wire an electric fuel pump (vortec motors in cars and trucks are not machined for fuel pumps). this will have to be wired with an oil pressure switch so the fuel pump stops when there is no oil pressure
you will need to have the right flywheel. GM switched from a 2-piece rear main seal to a 1-piece in 1986

you did not state which drive you have. you may have a problem locating a coupler and flywheel, especially if you have an OMC drive

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

Some things are covered in my thread here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=520824

In addition to what Scott said... the accessories bolted on the front of the engine will be all different, and depending on the year of the motor and some other things, the mounting may be different, making it impossible to bolt things up. On the other hand, it may be fine.

This site helps a lot: http://www.hotsixes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=12

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 1984 sea sprite with a 4.3 v 6 chevy motor in it. I need to put a new motor and and I was wondering if I could use a vortec motor from a 96 chevy pickup as long as I swap out the intake. is this possible?

Ayuh,... Like Scott says,... It's Doable,... but you'll be swappin' a whole lot more than just the intake....

reysafn

Cadet

Now I have a new option. I found out that the motor that is in it is a GM 3.8 liter. I have heard that this motor was very rare and only found in a buick in the 80's. I have been told it was only made for three years. Some have said 82-85 and some have said 84-87. Now my problem is that I have found a1987 buick regal with a 3.8 in it I can pick up. Does anyone know if this is the motor I have been searching for?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Mercruiser used the 229 only in 1983 and 84....

reysafn

Cadet

Will a v6 3.8 231 bolt up with the intake and exhaust

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

I have absolutely no idea. However, before doing that, I'd check the compatability with the 4.3l engine instead. They can be had very cheaply - especially the older ones. I bought a 92 and a 97 for $200 each, entirely complete out of vehicles.