1990 Welcraft 186 eclepse 4.3 liter Mercruiser Alpha 1.Replacing the bellows?

starwriter

Banned
I'm new with boating talk & names.Please,bare with me.
I have a 1990 Welcraft 186 eclepse 4.3 liter Mercruiser Alpha 1.I beleive my drive shaft bellows is leaking.I'm getting water dripping inside the boat in the hull.(Under engine).I do know for a fact that my shift cable bellows is completely gone.My thinking is if ones bad the others are bad as well.May as well replace them all while I'm in their.Seems only to leak when boat is seating in the water.Don't seem to take on water when operating the boat.As about 3-4 gal's of water a hour.I also,noticed oil in the water in the hull as well.I beleive it 80/90 weight oil coming from inside the boat from the drive shaft area.But,it could of been from when I greesed the outside fittings as well.

Is there a easier/quicker way to change the bellows?
I u-tubed videos of replacing the bellows.I find that,it seem's you have to remove darn near everything to do so_Or am I wrong?
Look like the shift cable bellows just requires disconnecting the cable.
Looks like in order to replace the drive shaft bellows the drive shaft needs to be pulled to do so.But,from other videos is showing removeing the trim pins pulling the whole unit.I guess,if your gonna replace all the bellows requires removing it all to get to them all.
What about just replacing the drive shaft bellows & the shift cable bellows?Is pully the complete top unit/Trim unit required?Just wondering if anyone found a easier more simplier way of replacing the bellows?

From watching the u-tube videos online seem's Wow! alot to do.From what I was told these bellows,impellers should be replaced every season.For a every seasonal deal seem's to be a much bigger job for your basic requirement service.Costly at that.$50.00 for a drive shaft bellows,$29.00 for just a simple shift cable bellows.Seem's buying a complete kit would be cheaper...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1990 Welcraft 186 eclepse 4.3 liter Mercruiser Alpha 1.Replacing the bellows?

My thinking is if ones bad the others are bad as well.May as well replace them all while I'm in their.

Is there a easier/quicker way to change the bellows?

From what I was told these bellows,impellers should be replaced every season.

Ayuh,.... Agreed,... Change ALL the rubber parts while it's apart...

Nope,... No hidden easy button....

Impellers are every year, or two,...
Service life of the bellows/ lower cable is 'bout 5 to 8 years...