1995 Mercruiser 5.0 overheating

masonmoo

Recruit
I have a 1995 5.0 that is overheating. First time its been in salt water. Ran fine and cruised the ICW for couple of hours. Pulled over and anchored in shallows, did not beach or bury (best I can tell). Fired her back up and 5 to 10 minutes later she was smoking hot. The two exhaust manifolds were smoking as if not getting any water to them. I have replaced the impeller by removing the lower unit. Ran at idle speed on the muffs for 15 minutes or so and was hot again (200F). Removed thermostat and housing and ran garden hose down, it filled and eventually ran out the backside near the transom. Unhooked the four small hoses and ran garden in them and same thing happened. Pulled thermostat and tested it in water and it opened and closed just fine. Put thermostat housing back on without thermostat. Ran 15 minutes or so at idle on the muffs and hot again! I did not check the larger hoses, one is connected to the water circulation pump and the other I am not sure what. I m just pretending to have any knowledge of what I am doing but can someone point me to my next step. Your help with be greatly appreciated by the wife and 2 sons!!!!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 Mercruiser 5.0 overheating

Check the impeller. That is the first thing you check on any overheat.