Won't start after Winter Storage in Yard with new battery...Thud when turning key

thomsonr

Cadet
Boat worked fine at end of summer. Removed battery and put it my car as I needed a new one. After being prepped for Winter storage by local dealer the boat sat in yard until spring. Then I put in a new battery (checked for full charge at Canadian Tire). When I turn the key to the first spot I get two beeps and the gauges come on. The outdrive will move up and down electrically. However when I turn further to start I get nothing but a thud.

This is looking bad, if I take the boat to our local shop(s) it will likely be in until the end of July. Any ideas on what to look at before I haul it to the shop?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Won't start after Winter Storage in Yard with new battery...Thud when turning key

I would pull the spark plugs and try again

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Won't start after Winter Storage in Yard with new battery...Thud when turning key

Serial numbers or motor I.D. do wonders!

Also can you define "Thud"

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

something tells me somebody goofed on the winterize

thomsonr

Cadet

Mercruiser 3.8 180hp, just kind of a "thunk" when turning key.

thomsonr

Cadet

Mercruiser 3.8 180hp, possibly "thunk".

thomsonr

Cadet

What do you think they could of done wrong?

thomsonr

Cadet

Not sure what you mean here? Pull then and crank the engine? Or replace?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

We are thinking you have water in the cylinders. Pull the spark plugs out and see if the engine will turn over. maybe spray wd-40 in the holes . watch for water coming out or rust on the plugs. If the boat was not drained it could have frozen. It may have failed on its own and fluid drained into the cylinders.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

What year?

Ok "Thunk" then? Still dont know what that means?

Do you mean that the motor cranks over but it wont start...... or..... it does nothing when you turn the key.... no clicking and no sound?

OR DID IT turn over and start running and it went "THUNK" - "THUD" and it stoped running?

Just trying to get some clairifcation!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

What year?

Ok "Thunk" then? Still dont know what that means?

Do you mean that the motor cranks over but it wont start...... or..... it does nothing when you turn the key.... no clicking and no sound?

OR DID IT turn over and start running and it went "THUNK" - "THUD" and it stoped running?

Just trying to get some clairifcation!

3.8 V6 was only used 1983/4.... and it was a 185hp...

If it tried to turn and stopped with a 'thud/thunk', me thunks it's hydroed..

Chris......

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bendex kicking out, engaging, but not turning, at all. That could make a thud? Maybe thats a thunk? Maybe try turning engine over with crank bolt?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mercruiser 3.8 180hp, possibly "thunk".

Is this the same 180hp engine you had in some of your other threads that used to be a 3.7L engine?

Is it a 4 cylinder engine or a V6?

thomsonr

Cadet

Thanks to all that replied. The boat is a 4 cylinder 3.7L not 3.8. It does not turn over at all,just a thunk when you try to start. It supposedly was fully winterized before being stored in yard.

At dinner in about 4 hrs I will pull the plugs and try to turn it over.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Should have had a 50/50 mix so the block should not have had an issue.worst case is a busted heatexchanger and the riser should have drained back to the HE., Outdrive filled with water instead of oil?