Bad coil?

Brsteff

Cadet
I have a 1986 MCM 140, serial # A540355, and am getting no spark. I read "How to troubleshoot a points ignition system" and started testing. I came to the... "- With all wires diconnected from the coil, check for continuity between the tower and both (+) and (-) posts on the coil. If there is no continuity between these, the coil is bad and must be replaced." I have continuity when I test between the (+) to (-) posts on the coil, however when I check between the center tower to (+) and also the center tower to (-) I have nothing. Am I correct in assuming the coil is bad, or is there something else that could be causing this? Any help would be great. Thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Bad coil?

If you have replaced the points, and set them correctly (the cause of no spark 90% of the time) and disconnected the grey tacho feed wire and the shift interrupt switch wires from the '-' of the coil (leaving only the wire running to the points on the '-') and checked that you have power on the '+' of the coil, then yes, the coil is likely bad... Cheap enough to just throw a new one in anyway...

Chris.......