Oh no...My Alpha One Drive is leaking, help

rparde

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

I am new to iboats and have found it to be extremely helpful in keeping my new to me boat up and running. Last weekend the family and I took the boat out and had it tied up to a dock for a couple hours. I had heard that during low tide it gets kind of shallow so I tilted the drive all the way up as if I was trailering. After just a few minutes the bilge kicked on so I peeked my head in to check it out. I found a steady stream of water coming in from the drive. I attached a picture of the stream of water. I immediatly lowered the drive and the stream stopped. I am assuming it only slowed but atleast the steady stream was gone.

The 1999 Bayliner has a 3.0 Mercruiser with an Alpha One drive. I have owned it for about a month.

Since coming back and trailering I have briefly looked at the bellows to see if there was anything obvious. I don't have much experience but didn't see anything immediatly. The bellows didn't look great but also weren't shredded. This was occuring when the motor was off and I haven't seen the problem occur when I am flushing the engine. It's hard to see exactly where the leak is coming from but with a stream like that it can't be good. I am assuming this type of thing doesn't rot a transom right....?:(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Ryan

Attachments

• boatleak.jpg
    boatleak.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 1

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Re: Oh no...My Alpha One Drive is leaking, help

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER have the engine even running past the upper "Trim" limit...at best you'll quickly wear your U-Joints...at worst(this case in the water)you may even sink the boat.

rparde

Seaman Apprentice

Oshkosh,
The motor wasn't running. I had stopped at the dock tied up and then raised the trim. I wasn't sure how deep the water would be once the tide dropped completely so i raised it.

jcbarry

Cadet

My guess would be your shift cable bellows is torn.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Looks very much like the shift bellows... If that's torn and allowing water in, it's likely the shift cable is also full of water... It will now only be a matter of time before you have "Stalls when shifting" problems... As the cable is about 13 years old, I'd be replacing it at the same time as you do the bellows... While you're in there and have things that much apart, replace the uni joint bellows too...

Chris.....

rparde

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys, you were correct. With the drive fully raised I found a hole about the size of a quarter on the bottom side. Looks like I will be pulling the drive and replacing the bellows and like achris said might as well do the shift cable. I imagine I will find more problems when I pull the drive. Thanks for the help

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Guys, you were correct. With the drive fully raised I found a hole about the size of a quarter on the bottom side. Looks like I will be pulling the drive and replacing the bellows and like achris said might as well do the shift cable. I imagine I will find more problems when I pull the drive. Thanks for the help

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Bein' in the brine,...

Now's the time to go right through the transom, 'n be done with it...

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your bellows need replacing, sei engg do a transom seal kit with all the bellows , gaskets, etc for $80.00. That's a really good price. Here's the link http://www.sterndrive.cc/