question bout alpha one sterndrives

ATrainque

Recruit
hi i'm new to boat ownership and was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me. First i got a 1991 glastron 1900 with merc 4.3l v6 and alpha one sterndrive serial no od4o66197(I think. Because they are really hard to make out) first, my upper drive gears just shredded yesterday. can i use any upper gears with my 4.3 or do i need to go with the original gears. why i ask is i found a whole outdrive complete that come off of a 3.0. it has 1.98 gears and mine has 1.81. I'm trying to do most of the work myself and already got it apart and it looks like #$*&. heres a pic. oh and what might have caused it to do this? the lower still turns but dont know if its got damage also. thank in advance.

043.jpg044.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: question bout alpha one sterndrives

You should ask your questions in the I/O forum. The gears from the 3.0 will likely fit, but you may need to change the prop. Did you check our the replacement Alpha drives from SEI/ They have complete new outdrives as well as uppers and lowers for the price of two gears.

ATrainque

Recruit

sorry i posted it in wrong area. meant to put it in I/O. newbie mistake...lol. thank you for the info i will check it out.

QC

Supreme Mariner

All good Atrain. I moved to Mercruiser section. Welcome aboard!!

ATrainque

Recruit

OK, so if I go with the sterndrive from the 3.0, how do I determine what prop I should use?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ask that question over in the prop forum. You won't be happy with the performance.

With the upper destroyed like that, you can bet the lower is also full of metal. You should look into a new SEI outdrive for about $1700 with a 3 year warranty.