Water leaking from bell housing around the starter

leclair61

Recruit
Hello all I picked up a boat last week it's an older one (1985) with a 120 mercruiser. We put it in the water this past weekend and found a lot of water under the motor after just a few min so after I drained the water I backed the boat back in the lake and watched down around the motor area no water than started the motor and found water to be coming from the bell housing area out from around were the starter goes in. If I run the motor in the drive way on the muffs I get no water. I did find water in the drive shaft bellow but for the life of me can't find any holes in it got any ideas thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water leaking from bell housing around the starter

You probably have a core plug pushed out or rusted through on the back of the engine. You will have to pull the engine and flywheel to get to it.

leclair61

Recruit

If that was it should I have water leaking when I run it in the drive way on the hose with the muffs?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should, probably not near as much though. It could also be a cracked block and you need more water pressure for it to leak. Either way you are going to have to pull the engine and look. There is no other way for water to get into that housing other than from the block.