trim

SS POKER

Cadet
84 chaparral with a 470 mercruiser in it. i finaly got her on the water fellas and she runs like a champ. My next question is it doesn't seem as if the trim is goin down all the way. once im in the water and want to push the trim all the way down my gauge still says up. could i have a blocked line? the gauge wont say trim is fully down.
any ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: trim

The gauge sender on the outdrive is probably out of adjustment. Look at the drive, is it all the way down?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Step away from the gauge.....LOL. As Don says, do not depend on the gauge to determine the proper trim. When you trim down you should hear the pump motor change tone when you hit full down. When you hear the tone change take a look. Your trim will be constantly changing anyway depending on your load (someone changes seats from the back to the front) and other conditions like wind direction. I am constantly changing the trim and have not looked at the gauge in years. Another thing to watch is the tach, your engine rpm will be max at a given throttle position when the boat is trimmed for maximum efficiency. All IMHO of course. Play around with it, have fun. Enjoy that 470;)

SS POKER

Cadet

Thanks fellas. i was wondering bout just stepping away from the gauge she seems to be running well. This is my first "big boat" So im still gettin the feel for her of course. Anything else i should be aware of any coaching would be well appreciated. =) I do know i need to up grade some of the instrument wires some switches dont work but here and here so i think a faulty ground some where. other than that haha for a first time boater and a great used boat for free YUP she is a champ!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

The most important gauge on that 470 is the TEMPERATURE gauge. Take it out and run it and learn where your normal temp is. That is the temperature where it stabilizes and stays there at any speed. With the closed cooling it should stay steady once warmed up. Mark the gauge if need be, and look at it every couple of minutes or so. Any rise above "normal" requires prompt attention. It is particularly important on the 470 because of its sensitivity to an overheat. A new impeller every other year (some folks say every year) is a good idea. Check the coolant (with a cheap antifreeze tester) and make sure it is about 50/50.