should i buy a used coupler?

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
my engine coupler is no good & replacements are more than I want to spend. should Ibuy a used one? do these go bad often? I have nver hada problem w/one & I think mine when bad because of the actions of the P.O.
It will cost abut 155 for a glm coupler, 220 for a sierra & no idea what a merc will be.
then I can buy a used one for like 75 bucks.
as for the never ending question, let me answer it right off the bat:
no, this is not a job I want to do over again, i want to be done with it.
but in my 25 years of boating & abusing boats, I have never run into a worn/damaged coupler

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: should i buy a used coupler?

There's no simple answer to that question... The real question is 'can you check it make sure it's good?' The answer to that is 'not easily'...What you need to do is to inspect the splines, make sure they're ok. Then set it up in a vice (or some such locking system) and put a yoke in it and a BIG bar across the yoke and make sure it doesn't slip.....

What is your engine? I'll give you a part number and rough price for the Merc coupler... (Yes, I know you've written miles on the engine and it's problem, but I read like 500 entries a day!!! no joke!!! Sorry If I can't remember all of the engine that go with the names...)

Chris.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

my engine coupler is no good & replacements are more than I want to spend. should Ibuy a used one? do these go bad often? I have nver hada problem w/one & I think mine when bad because of the actions of the P.O.
It will cost abut 155 for a glm coupler, 220 for a sierra & no idea what a merc will be.
then I can buy a used one for like 75 bucks.
as for the never ending question, let me answer it right off the bat:
no, this is not a job I want to do over again, i want to be done with it.
but in my 25 years of boating & abusing boats, I have never run into a worn/damaged coupler

you have a damaged coupler now.....

also, I suggest a new one. some things are not worth cheeping out on, especially if the failure means that you need to pull the motor again to fix.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

96 4.3 ,mercruiser

Merc part# -18643A5, on-line dealer price, $234.32.... At that price, that's the one I'd be putting on...

Chris.......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

do these go bad often?
They go bad for 2 reasons, lack of lubrication, and being out of alignment.
With proper maintenance, they usually last the life of the boat.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

My last boat (1966 Marktwain/Mercruiser 150) went 39 years with the original coupler.

Since you have to R&R the engine to replace them, the extended cost is not significant (even if you pay maximum retail) when you buy a new one.

If you replace with a used one, you might be replacing it in short order.

stang32

Chief Petty Officer

yeah I just got back, i picked up a new one locally. paid more than i wanted but I know have it. actually parting with the money is easier when you have the part in your hand right away.

haulnazz15

Captain

My last boat (1966 Marktwain/Mercruiser 150) went 39 years with the original coupler.

Since you have to R&R the engine to replace them, the extended cost is not significant (even if you pay maximum retail) when you buy a new one.

If you replace with a used one, you might be replacing it in short order.

My 1976 Mark Twain is on its original coupler as well, despite having a new engine attached to it last year (which was the original). The coupler is the only item I didn't replace on the engine, and that's only because we knew the coupler was good and had maintained the boat for more than a decade before replacing the engine. I wouldn't buy a used coupler solely for the reason that I didn't know the maintenance on it and it's cheap enough not to skimp on it when pulling the engine is required when it fails.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

yeah I just got back, i picked up a new one locally. paid more than i wanted but I know have it. actually parting with the money is easier when you have the part in your hand right away.
Well, you're usually paying for convenience and a measure of warranty when you buy locally.

Now, ENSURE that your engine mounts/mount points are solid, your transom is NOT rotten AND your alignment is "perfect" after you install the new coupler or you will be doing it again!

stang32

Chief Petty Officer

funny, thats were I was when you posted this reply.