Mercruiser 260 Alpha 2 Gen 2 power assist steering

Dabro99

Recruit
We troll our Bayliner 2359 (Mercruiser 260 w/ Alpha 1 Gen 2) with a Yamaha 8 four stroke. The trolling motor is linked to the Alpha drive with an arm for steering the kicker. Since the big motor is turned off when we're trolling, there's no power assist on the steering. How stiff should that steering be? It's pretty hard to turn the wheel when we are trolling with the big engine shut down. I have checked the Mercruiser steering caable and it is free and well lubed. Is the steering on these setups stiff without the motor running normal or is the power assist pump shot?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser 260 Alpha 2 Gen 2 power assist steering

We troll our Bayliner 2359 (Mercruiser 260 w/ Alpha 1 Gen 2) with a Yamaha 8 four stroke. The trolling motor is linked to the Alpha drive with an arm for steering the kicker. Since the big motor is turned off when we're trolling, there's no power assist on the steering. How stiff should that steering be? It's pretty hard to turn the wheel when we are trolling with the big engine shut down. I have checked the Mercruiser steering caable and it is free and well lubed. Is the steering on these setups stiff without the motor running normal or is the power assist pump shot?

Sounds normal. When you turn the wheel without the engine running, not only are you turning the drive, but also pushing a lot of steering fluid from one side of the ram to the other (through quite small ports too)...

Chris......

Bondo

Staff member

Is the steering on these setups stiff without the motor running normal or is the power assist pump shot?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Sounds pretty Normal to me,...

The P/S pump ain't turnin' when the main motor ain't runnin'...

Does it steer Easy, with the main motor runnin',..??

Dabro99

Recruit

Thanks for the welcome, this forum has been very helpful.

Boat steering is fine when the main engine is running. I am trying to find a way to steer my kicker without having to use Armstrong steering.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the welcome, this forum has been very helpful.

Boat steering is fine when the main engine is running. I am trying to find a way to steer my kicker without having to use Armstrong steering.

Ayuh,... I troll with the main motor, 'n use drift socks to keep the speeds down...

achris

Ayuh,... I troll with the main motor, 'n use drift socks to keep the speeds down...

I troll at 6 knots... 1400rpm on the main engine... Drinks less than 1 litre per nautical mile...Cheaper (and easier) than a trolling engine... :D :D :D

Bondo

Staff member

I troll at 6 knots... 1400rpm on the main engine... Drinks less than 1 litre per nautical mile...Cheaper (and easier) than a trolling engine... :D :D :D

Ayuh,... Freshwater trollin' is more like 1.5 mph to 2.5 mph...

1st time I went fishin' in the Salt,.. I was thinkin' their trollin' speeds were pretty good cruisin' speeds...

achris

Ayuh,... Freshwater trollin' is more like 1.5 mph to 2.5 mph......

Are the fish slower or something?... :D

Bondo

Staff member

Are the fish slower or something?... :D

Ayuh,... The 1s I chase are at the Top of their food chain, 'n don't need to be in a hurry...