overheated Merc 140 (3.0) repairable?

RaysZ71

Cadet
Took it out yesterday, and it promptly overheated in the middle of the lake.. was running at about 1500 rpm for about 15 minutes when it showed about 240 deg.. we turned around and got her back to the dock. by that time the gauge was well passed the 240 mark (guessing 260) was getting some smoke from the engine bay, not alot, but noticeable. ( i had opened the covers to try to help it cool) Got it close to the dock and shut it down. it "ran-on" for about 5 seconds.

anyway.. I figure the impeller in the lower unit failed. when I got home I kicked the key to see if it had siezed.. it turned over. btw, the whole time it sounded normal, no big pops or bangs.. I wonder if I lucked out and did not ruin the engine.

I am thinking to try and replace the impeller and see if the engines ok. Question, should I replace the pump at the engine too since it was not getting water?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: overheated Merc 140 (3.0) repairable?

I am thinking to try and replace the impeller and see if the engines ok. Question, should I replace the pump at the engine too since it was not getting water?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Yes, change the impeller, 'n it's housing kit, 'n Try it....

No, the circulatin' water pump is probably just Fine...

achris

More fish than mountain goat