140hp Mercruiser knock

pam_n_geoff

Cadet
Been working on this freaking thing forever. It was having an overheat issue and I finally got that resolved and when I was out on the water to make sure the overheating issue was cleared it developed a knock. I don't know where it was coming from but I lost power, it started dogging real bad and the oil pressure light came on. I dropped down to idle and shut it down. the knock isn't noticeable at idle, but at wot it is and it has a severe power band issue. I also had a lot of white fumes coming out of the flame arrestor tubes to the carb. Any suggestions??????

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 140hp Mercruiser knock

Been working on this freaking thing forever. It was having an overheat issue and I finally got that resolved and when I was out on the water to make sure the overheating issue was cleared it developed a knock. I don't know where it was coming from but I lost power, it started dogging real bad and the oil pressure light came on. I dropped down to idle and shut it down. the knock isn't noticeable at idle, but at wot it is and it has a severe power band issue. I also had a lot of white fumes coming out of the flame arrestor tubes to the carb. Any suggestions??????

Ayuh,.... Unfortunately, it sounds like yer just gettin' Started....

try a compression test, 'n see if that shows anything,..??

What's the oil pressure now,..??

pam_n_geoff

Cadet
Re: 140hp Mercruiser knock

Yeah Unfortunately I have been working on this boat forever. My buddy bought it from a guy in Chicago that "rebuilt" it. Had I been with him I would have told him not to buy it. The electronics and wiring were all messed up. No compliant safety equipment was installed i.e. horns or a bildge pump, motor wouldn't start, fuel pump was bad, impeller was bad, no oil in the motor, no anti-freeze in the tanks, Carb needed tuned, I still need to adjust the timing......I could go on about the sad condition that I have redeemed this boat from. For my buddy the boat is living up to its name. Bust Out Another Thousand