140 Mercruiser 3.0

klcjustin

Recruit
Hello,

I am new to posting in this forum and thus far after several months of reading this forum, you guys are very helpful and somewhat funny.

Ok, I have a 140 mercruiser stern drive that was running great yesterday until......we left the Y rope on the back of the boat. After forward motion all the way to the dock all was fine until we hit reverse and bam, the motor died. After cutting the rope out of the prop, I can go into reverse, I can rev but it kept dying when trying to put in forward. Finally after some time it got it to grind on into forward and I made the last 100' to the dock.

What the **** did I do to my boat? I have experience with replacing the stern drive and motors but am wondering, did I wear out the "dog clutch" (not sure if I said that right or not)? Is this something I can fix with replacing clutches or gears? Thanks in advance for the help.

FYI the boat is an 81 glasstron 3.0 with 140 mercruiser.

Thanks, Justin

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 140 Mercruiser 3.0

Hello,

I am new to posting in this forum and thus far after several months of reading this forum, you guys are very helpful and somewhat funny.

Ok, I have a 140 mercruiser stern drive that was running great yesterday until......we left the Y rope on the back of the boat. After forward motion all the way to the dock all was fine until we hit reverse and bam, the motor died. After cutting the rope out of the prop, I can go into reverse, I can rev but it kept dying when trying to put in forward. Finally after some time it got it to grind on into forward and I made the last 100' to the dock.

What the **** did I do to my boat? I have experience with replacing the stern drive and motors but am wondering, did I wear out the "dog clutch" (not sure if I said that right or not)? Is this something I can fix with replacing clutches or gears? Thanks in advance for the help.

FYI the boat is an 81 glasstron 3.0 with 140 mercruiser.

Thanks, Justin

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....
Maybe ya oughta pull the prop off it, 'n remove the wad of Crap yer gonna find under it 1st,....

Then try it...

If it's still got Problems,....
Then We'll worry 'bout if ya can do it, 'n more importantly, What you'll Have to do.... ;)

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....
Maybe ya oughta pull the prop off it, 'n remove the wad of Crap yer gonna find under it 1st,....

Then try it...

If it's still got Problems,....
Then We'll worry 'bout if ya can do it, 'n more importantly, What you'll Have to do.... ;)

You guys are always so straight to the point. That's why I love it here :)

klcjustin

Recruit

You guys are always so straight to the point. That's why I love it here :)

Thanks Bond-o. Getting straight to the point, There is no junk down there at, in or behind the prop before or after I pulled it off. Let's be A little clear here, I understand mechanics and am not one of those weekend warriors that can't even back a trailer or turn a wench. Common sense is available from me. So, back to my question bond-o, You really know what you are talking about after reading your posts for several months, what is the next step? Thanks again

klcjustin

Recruit

Not sure if you thought I was being condescending or not, I just posted as a serious post here and was not looking for people to be smart about it. Not talking about you Bond-o. As I said before I trust what you say. I took the prop off and it was clean as a whistle. After putting in gear I can feel the prop shaft is engaged in forward gear but, with little effort I can spin the prop and feel, as well as hear a click or what sounds like stripped gears. Question, do you think this is an adjustment issue or rebuild issue? Thanks again.