Possible Venting Issue with Mercruiser 165 inline 6

corona2627

Seaman Apprentice
I will try this again, ask earlier, but was kept hanging with no resolve. Have a 1971 Glastron completely rennovated with Mercruiser 165 inline 6, everything in her new except block and alternator. At first I thought I was vapor locking, put Phlenoic spacer on Rochester 2jet carb, but kept stalling after running for about 30 to 45 min, acting just like vapor lock. Boat will Idle but when you engage throttle will sputter and stall, but will start again, but will sputter and stall, takes about 20 mins floating around, then she will be ok. Has new gas tank, with new vent, and new gas line in her. After trying the spacer, heat wrap around fuel lines and more motor vents, I decided to crack open the gas cap to see if there was a venting problem, and this seem to cure the problem. Now I have put a new vent in with 5/8 vent hose, its not clogged, I have checked. Why would opening the gas cap and running with it open solve this problem? What do I need to do?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Possible Venting Issue with Mercruiser 165 inline 6

Why would opening the gas cap and running with it open solve this problem?

Because the vent in the tank is not working for some reason.

Make sure there are no low spots in the vent hose where fuel can get trapped and block the venting action. Is the vent located on the tank, where is the fill located on the tank?

corona2627

Seaman Apprentice

It's a 13 gallon Moeller fuel tank with the vent located at the top left side of tank. I have the 5/8 vent hose vented out to a new vent as close to the tank as possible, I even blew into the hose, and I even put a wire down the vent on the gas tank to make sure nothing is blocking the vent. The vent is on the side of the boat where the originial vent was on the other side of the boat. Vent line makes a small upward loop then goes into the vent on the side of the boat.

The fill neck is located right of the center of the tank.

corona2627

Seaman Apprentice

Second posting of no one answering my problem...I give up on this forum

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Second posting of no one answering my problem...I give up on this forum

You "posted" @8:22 EST(that's "early" out west)...

Patience is a virtue.

There are some on the other side if the planet who regularly post here. They're not perpetually online...and most probably have other "jobs"(it is a monday).

corona2627

Seaman Apprentice

I understand this, but how long will it take to receive an answer or help on my Post dated May 29th, 2012...still waiting on that one too, being very patient, till today....It seems like some post are just not exciting enough to help with, or if someone really doesnt know the answer, lets just not reply.

Thanks for all the help in the past....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

or if someone really doesnt know the answer, lets just not reply.

What do you want ????? 500 people replying with "I don't know"

Like I said earlier, the vent in your tank isn't working right. Why? I have no clue. I asked a couple of questions and you answered them, and I just got back to the thread. But the info you gave didn't help me any.
Maybe you have a low spot in your hose and it's full of gas and the suction doesn't pull it out of the hose.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

I understand this, but how long will it take to receive an answer or help on my Post dated May 29th, 2012...

Look and see how many "views" you've had. I'm guessing many have looked however it may be that no one has a definitive enough answer to reply...NOT that everyone is patently ignoring you.

corona2627

Seaman Apprentice

I'm sorry, but if I dont know the answer to something, I will woman up and tell you so you dont have to patiently be waiting...but thanks again for all your past help.