Clockwise vs counterclockwise

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a boat with two sterndrives 140 mercruisers and the outdrives were stole off it (before I got it) and I just happen to have two single boats with rotten hulls and was wondering what would happen if I put the two clockwise rotation drives on the same boat

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Clockwise vs counterclockwise

It might pull a little more one direction than it used to. Other than that, it will work. You will have to change direction of the controls on drive that was counter rotating.

TilliamWe

Banned

I am asking, not questioning, but how do we know that his twin engine boat had a counter rotating drive on it? And if it did, which one would it have been?

Don S

I am asking, not questioning, but how do we know that his twin engine boat had a counter rotating drive on it? And if it did, which one would it have been?

It's his boat and he probably knew one was counter rotating. Normally the starboard is counter rotating.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

shift both into fwd position, if there standard the shift lever/shoe is in a straight line on the standard side and in reverse position on the port side. if both point in a straight line, the oem`s were standard drives. both would have to be 1.98 ratio

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's his boat and he probably knew one was counter rotating. Normally the starboard is counter rotating.

Actually I just got it this weekend and haven't looked at it yet what's the chance it's a it's a 1985 chriscraft 29ft the controls are on a set of two controls in one Crome control

It might pull a little more one direction than it used to. Other than that, it will work. You will have to change direction of the controls on drive that was counter rotating.
How much will it pull and change controls to what two single controls?

Don S

what's the chance it's a it's a 1985 chriscraft 29ft the controls are on a set of two controls in one Crome control

Look at Bt Docs reply above on how to check the controls. If that is what you are asking.

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The outdrives I've got are mc-1s and the boat had Rs on will the outdrives match up to the bell housing

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

My buddy has 2 standard rotation drives on his 30' and it has no effect on steering or driving. I believe you change the way the cables are connected to the control for the rotation on those. You'll still use the same controls.

Bondo

Staff member

The outdrives I've got are mc-1s and the boat had Rs on will the outdrives match up to the bell housing

Ayuh,... An '85 oughta be Alphas...

I'd guess it's runnin' Twin sisters, as in plain ole standard rotation drives...

Counter-rotatin' isn't at All necessary, 'n there's millions of hulls with twins turnin' the same way...

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So will the mc-1s match up If there alphas also just found out the boat is equipped with the pos ford 170s not the 3.0 gm that I originally thought that had 1:84 ratio what change in prop pitch will be needed if this can't be done can I just install the full 140s engine and outdrives or will I have to change transom parts to the boat to