10 QTS of Oil ,Dip Stick Position???

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
motor3.jpgmotor2.jpg Re manufactured 350 2pc rear main seal--5qt original oil pan damaged/replaced with what I thought was a 8qt pan--The 2nd photo shows the Windage Tray and the Dip Stick is even with the bottom of it. Added TWO 5.1 QT bottles of oil and still nothing on dip stick? How far below oil pan gasket should the oil level be at? We installed a lower/extended oil pick up that is within 1/4" of the bottom of the pan. We removed the dizzy and pre oiled whit a drill and had oil to the heads.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 10 QTS of Oil ,Dip Stick Position???

give or take ,to about here

Attachments

• motor3.jpg
    motor3.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

THANKS DR.-- we ran a coat hanger down the tube and measured vs. Dip Stick and recon I need a half inch longer Dip Stick--LOL.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure that will fit in the boat? The pans are usually a lot closer to the hull for that much extra.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Yes Sir! - it is installed--3 to 4 Inches above the bilge--but do have to move the bilge pump forward--I had to go bigger to clear the Windage Tray (4 1/4 deep in front ) and it is 8 1/4" deep. I went with a Melling 55-HV High Volume oil pump (70psi) and did not want to suck it dry during WOT runs. This pan I got from a local speed shop for $80 vs a standard Mercruiser pan for a lot more$$.
The motor is a Mild Tune with a RV cam , Flat top Pistons and a few extras.

Willyclay

Captain

Now I know "the rest of the story" you started in friscoboater's old thread!

Last edited: