Strange Knocking Sound Mercruiser 454 (7.4L)

tpenfield

Staff member
As you may know from my 'Stringer & Bulkhead' thread, I launched my boat today. As I was prepping the boat, I ran the engine on the muffs for a while.

I noticed a strange 'low level' knocking sounds that I have not heard previously. I was not the 'ticking' noise that you generally get with a valve being out of adjustment, lower in pitch and a bit more subdued. I do not really notice that the sound continues when the engine is revved up.

I also remember hearing this slight sound when I ran the engine on a test stand a couple of weeks ago. I did not think too much of it then. . . it seems more pronounced now that the engine is in the boat.

Here is a vidoe of the engine idling in the boat today . . .

What do you all think the noise is from???

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Strange Knocking Sound Mercruiser 454 (7.4L)

Just for reference purposes . . .

Here is a video of the engine running a few weeks ago . . .

Not sure if the noise was there on the test bed, but I think it was.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Sounds like an exhaust reverb...

I have nothing more than automotive experience to base that on! Have you listened with a stethoscope? The noise is obvious, but to me (again, see above) doesn't sound "mechanical" I can hear the same rhythm in both videos...hopefully that's what you mean?

tpenfield

Staff member

Sounds like an exhaust reverb...

I have nothing more than automotive experience to base that on! Have you listened with a stethoscope? The noise is obvious, but to me (again, see above) doesn't sound "mechanical" I can hear the same rhythm in both videos...hopefully that's what you mean?

Yes, same rhythm, but seems to be more pronounced once the engine is in the boat. I am hoping it is not a valve related noise . . . when I rev the engine, it does not seem to increase, etc.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

its pronounced more in the boat because the boat is now resonating like a drum.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

sounds like sweet music to me--healthy!

tpenfield

Staff member

Thanks for the comments so far. I think that it may be the exhaust hose on the starboard side. Both hoses are in tough shape internally, so I plan on replacing them.

tpenfield

Staff member

A quick update:

I replaced the exhaust tubes and the low-level noise seems to have gone. The old tubes were in rough shape, so I think the 'exhaust reverberation' theory was correct . . . probably the exhaust sound was bouncing around the torn inner layer of the tube, eyc.

Here is what one of the old tubes looked like on the inside.

IMG_0796.jpg

And here is a video of the engine idling (no "low level" noise).

The engine does not struggle at the top end (WOT) either, as it did before, so that's an improvement.

Last edited:

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bet that was a relief.....:eek: