pre -alpha remove/install

Im in the process of replacing my 898 and i put the drive in the forward postion, but i think it unlocked after i removed it. Which way should the piece that engages the prop face...Should it be straight or sideways like it is? heres the pic.
outdrive.png

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: pre -alpha remove/install

The shaft on the outdrive needs to be facing forward as seen in the picture and will mate up with the slot at the bottom of the shift shaft on the bell housing. I hope this is helpful.

IMAG0669.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0666.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0667.jpg
    IMAG0667.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0669.jpg
    IMAG0669.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0

Thanks alot!! i should of looked just a tad more and would of figured it out

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, no problem. I'm new to Mercruisers as well. I've always had outboards until now. What year is your motor and drive? I am sure soemone can link you to the manual if it isn't one I have a link to.

The boat is a 1980 carlson cvz-18 i believe the drive and motor are original. Im upgrading to a 350 and replacing basically everything. For some reason the book on here in the "adults only" section keeps locking up my computer. But all the other manuals work... kinda weird, I would love the link if its available

The shaft on the outdrive needs to be facing forward as seen in the picture and will mate up with the slot at the bottom of the shift shaft on the bell housing. I hope this is helpful.

IMAG0669.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0666.jpg

Looks like you have an out of place exhaust shutter in that 1st pic..

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats what i thought to, but the bell housing is sitting on something...

Correct. I looked at it when I posted and thought to myself "I don't remember seeing a butterfly valve in there." It is an optical illusion from the ridges on the cover of the tote I have it sitting on.

I have the files for the manuals for your engine and drive but they are BIG files. If you nose around I am sure you can find the links. You need manual 3 and manual 4.

Last edited:

I think those are just the index's.. I appreicate you looking tho. I will look as well

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm pretty sure they are complete. If you click the preview button you only see the first few pages. You have to click the "download now" link and download the complete file. Trust me.

Awesome i will do that when i get some time.. Also i know i need to glue the large "o"ring into the bell housing, is it ok to use some 3m 4200 for it? and ashould i lightly lube the "o"ring before i install the drive?

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome i will do that when i get some time.. Also i know i need to glue the large "o"ring into the bell housing, is it ok to use some 3m 4200 for it? and ashould i lightly lube the "o"ring before i install the drive?

I am not certain what sealant to use. If you download the manual I am guessing that the installation section might specify a sealant. There are others around here that can answer that question better than I.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I am not certain what sealant to use. If you download the manual I am guessing that the installation section might specify a sealant. There are others around here that can answer that question better than I.

Easy to search the threads on this one, since I just saw this discussed a few days ago... Here's the thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=556369

Belllows adhesive works great.
I put a bit of 2-4-c on the barrel of the outdrive during install. I "lightly" oil the two o-rings on the shaft going into the gimbal bearing. Too much grease on there can cause it to hang up, thus sometimes requiring the merc-kick special tool. Oh, and don't forget the spline grease...

Thanks guys, i think im gonna use some contact cement on the large oring to hold it in the bell housing. I was just going to lightly grease the spine with marine grease, is that not ok?