Boat taking on water

aharper00

Seaman Apprentice
2000 Monterey Edge 180. 4.3 Mercruiser I/O Alpha I

When running across the lake I'm taking on water when under way, not when anchored or sitting still. I have to run the bilge pump for 4-8 seconds to clear the bilge after every run somewhere.

When sitting in my driveway (nose down due to driveway slope) and running on muffs I notice the same... water gets in. After running on muffs for around 60-90 seconds I noticed water in my ski locker but didn't pay enough attention to see if it had collected at all or much in the bilge location.

I checked the bellows and they look good (except exhaust bellow). To be on the safe side I took it to a small boat repair shop. They took a "quick look" to see if they could see what it was, they agree the bellows, shift boot, etc are ok but haven't looked at it enough to diagnose the problem.

I'm anxious so figure I'd ask here to see if anybody has a clue what it could be.

Edit: The plug is good. I filled the bilge with water with the plug in and no water escaped so whatever it is isn't low.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat taking on water

Have you ran it and looked at all hoses etc? If it's not bellows, and it takes on water while on muffs, it certainly sounds like an engine cooling system issue. Hose, manifold(s), thermostat housing, fuel cooler (not sure on 4.3) etc. I think I'll move this to the Merc I/O section. Not sure how water entering hull on muffs could not be engine/drive related.

This assumes that the water in the boat actually rises while on Muffs. Bilge water will run to the Ski Locker and visa versa depending on angle. If the water was simply transferring from one to the other while on the muffs, but not increasing, then my conclusion is flawed.

aharper00

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the move. I agree has to be engine/drive related somehow but I'm not that mechanical so this will be a learning experience. I knew enough that something was wrong and took it somewhere. :) When running at slow speeds I can't see anywhere that water is dripping in the engine but I may just be looking at the wrong place. With any luck price won't be too high.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I moved this to the I/O section. IF this boat gains water while on Muffs, then it belongs here. If we get any indication that it actually doesn't then may still be a boat issue. If only underway, I would suspect rub rail or speedo tube.

aharper00

Seaman Apprentice

Speedo tube... glad you said something. The speedometer didn't work when I bought the boat and the seller said that he wasn't sure how long it wasn't working.

Bondo

Staff member

2000 Monterey Edge 180. 4.3 Mercruiser I/O Alpha I

When running across the lake I'm taking on water when under way, not when anchored or sitting still. I have to run the bilge pump for 4-8 seconds to clear the bilge after every run somewhere.

When sitting in my driveway (nose down due to driveway slope) and running on muffs I notice the same... water gets in. After running on muffs for around 60-90 seconds I noticed water in my ski locker but didn't pay enough attention to see if it had collected at all or much in the bilge location.

I checked the bellows and they look good (except exhaust bellow). To be on the safe side I took it to a small boat repair shop. They took a "quick look" to see if they could see what it was, they agree the bellows, shift boot, etc are ok but haven't looked at it enough to diagnose the problem.

I'm anxious so figure I'd ask here to see if anybody has a clue what it could be.

Edit: The plug is good. I filled the bilge with water with the plug in and no water escaped so whatever it is isn't low.

Ayuh,.... The only way to find yer leak, is to cause it to leak, 'n then LOOK..

Use a mirror, or camera, or Whatever to pin point it...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The speedometer is not your leak problem on muffs, but it's probably no more than a hose off on the drive or the pitot tube on the leading edge of the drive is plugged.
For your leak, if water is running in while on muffs in the drive way, YOU, have to look around the back of the engine and under it to find where the water is coming from. Just start the engine on muffs and look. You don't need mechanical ability to look and describe where the water is coming from.

I don't need to be a plumber to tell someone my kitchen faucet drips when I have it shut off.

aharper00

Seaman Apprentice

Looked last night. I took the back seat out of the boat and turned it on with muffs. I could see a small "drip drip" from the front of the engine near the pulleys but it's no big deal, like a drip every 15-20 seconds. I can't find anywhere where water is rushing in, though. When under way I get gallons in so I may just need to take it to the lake with the seat out and drive it around slowly looking at that point.

There were 2 blue wing nuts that were sitting on the floor all the way back by the plug that I don't know where they came from... may be off from where they should be now, could be old. Where do they go? Where to look?

My bilge pump float switch was shot so I replaced it while I was able to get under the engine, so that was something good that came out of it.

I dropped the boat back at the shop last night. Hopefully they can look at it today and find something more than I could find.

Thanks so much!

JJJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are they the two blue wing nuts that go into the bottom of the exhaust manifolds? If they are out, water will pour in but you should be able to easily see that.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would it need the thermostat to be open for the water to gush out there?

YES those are the drain plugs for winterizing/draining your engine....screw them in....and you should be good to go.

And redo that hose clamp where the leak

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Put the muffs on, start the engine and look at where the water comes from. That will most likely be where the blue plugs go.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put the muffs on, start the engine and look at where the water comes from. That will most likely be where the blue plugs go.

Does water come through exhaust manifold when thermostat is closed? Circulated? Does it take like 5minutes on muffs to get to 160?

JJJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Water always goes to the exhaust.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

At slow engine speed on the muffs yo may not see much water dripping. But when you open it up on the lake, probably a different story.

Trooper583

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with kickback and the some of the other posters. Its has to be an engine cooling issue. Idling on muffs in the driveway vs. running 3500 rpms on the lake are two different things. I'm not sure if this would qualify or not but look underneather the water circulator (water pump in the auto world). Its mounted to the front of the block in the center. It has a weep hole underneath it that will leak water when it goes bad. Just a thought...