A few 888 issues

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just did a good shakedown run on my boat today, and had a few issues: Boat idled great at first, took it out and opened it up (discovered problem No.2) after that it idled very rough to the point where it was stalling while at idle. Also smelled a lot of fumes while idling. Issue 2:When up on plane, could not turn steering wheel; steering came back to normal after slowing down. Did notice some hydraulic smelling oil coming out of drain hole with bilge water.Bilge was cleaned out last week after changing fuel filter, no oil found while doing so.Problem No.3: Starter has an intermittent problem of spinning, but not engaging. This has happened the last 2 times at the launch ramp. Usually it takes a couple of tries, but it eventually it does grab, and start. Boat is a '75 Starcraft Cheiftan with original 888 Mercruiser. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: A few 888 issues

i have an 888 in a searay that was missing and stalling at idle i rebuilt my carb and that actually solved my issued. so 30.00 and a hour or so and that fix that issue. issue 2 unsure. i dont think you have power steering just manual. 3 you will need to have starter rebuilt,sounds like the bendix is kicking out everytime... where at in ne ohio are ya?

haulnazz15

Captain

You may be running to rich at idle, causing the fumes from the exhaust. Hard to say. Oil could have been from the trim lines/system. Check them for leaks. Is the steering free/easy when not in the water/under load?

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now that I think about it, I'm thinking the idle problem could be a sticking float since it idles fine after sitting for awhile; but the problem appears after opening it up. The steering worked great the first time I took it out; but since then I put both batteries in boxes and pushed them back toward the transom possibly causing some binding with the cable.The trim oil on the other hand I cannot figure out; Can't find where the fill on it is to check it. Haven't seen any leaky lines, but will keep looking.Josh P: I'm over in Youngstown.

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found the leak:
0614121147.jpg

The trim pump....where does the oil go?:confused:
0614121148-1.jpg

haulnazz15

Captain

The leak is up on the trim gauge sending unit/reverse lockout solonoid it appears. The trim pump is filled/checked via that screw on the corned of the pump body where it is notched. The screw on the lower portion anyway. It should just be SAE 30 oil. You need to get a copy of the Merc manual for your boat which would detail all of this.

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey i need your help stevens520..your first picture is the reverse lock out switch.. can you shoot some pictures of where the blue wires go.. mine is disconnected and i cannot find anything in the wiring diagram section of the manual

haulnazz15

Captain

hey i need your help stevens520..your first picture is the reverse lock out switch.. can you shoot some pictures of where the blue wires go.. mine is disconnected and i cannot find anything in the wiring diagram section of the manual

You can see the two blue wires in his second pic on the trim pump solonoid.

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

ya i need a good pic where they go as mine are completely no where near my solenoid. i see where the one wire hooks but cant be sure about the other wire... if you can tell me how they hook up that would be greatly appreciated.

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ask, and you shall receive!:D
0614121603.jpg

I did manage to head to my local marina and grab a rebuild kit.Gave the screws on the carb a good coating of break free and hopefully it comes apart without any problems. Will post results.

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok how about on the solenoid. i see the one wire in ur pic above... how about the other wire.. thanks for that

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats the wire in question, and do you have two solenoids for your trim or only one?

Trimwire.jpg

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

Her you go.:)
0614121625.jpg

0614121625a.jpg

0614121626.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words.:D
It does have 2; The one pictured on the side, and one on the front of the unit.

haulnazz15

Captain

As pictured, one side goes to the front left post on the trim pump solenoid, the other side goes to a screw on the pump reservoir top (I assume it's a ground).

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

As pictured, one side goes to the front left post on the trim pump solenoid, the other side goes to a screw on the pump reservoir top (I assume it's a ground).
thats what i needed thank you. so does it turn the trim pump on when you put it in reverse to prevent it from kickin up?

haulnazz15

Captain

It doesn't "turn on" anything, but it does activate the solenoid when reverse gear is selected so that it prevents the drive from kicking up due to the prop-thrust pulling it up. You don't want the drive locked down when in forward in case you hit a submerged object.

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well got the carb rebuilt today, everything came apart without any issues.Set the float got it put back together and back on.Fired it up, and she's still running pretty rich, and idling pretty rough ( engine "lopes"). adjusted the idle mixture screws, and nothing. Ideas?

haulnazz15

Captain

Well got the carb rebuilt today, everything came apart without any issues.Set the float got it put back together and back on.Fired it up, and she's still running pretty rich, and idling pretty rough ( engine "lopes"). adjusted the idle mixture screws, and nothing. Ideas?

Have you checked a vacuum gauge to verify adequate vacuum?

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, but I will do. Finally located the online manual and I see that the idle is supposed to be between 650-700 RPM;It was running around 500 according to my tach.I was thinking it may be vacuum related since the idle was sounding very similar to a car with a hot cam in it(just a lot slower).Thanks for the tip.:)

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally got all issues resolved: replaced both o rings in the reverse lockout valve (large one was flat & squished), raised the idle a bit, and replaced plugs & wires. Removed the starter (A job I don't want to do again any time soon.), and cleaned and put a little smear of lube on the starter shaft.Idles real smooth @ 650 RPM with no more stalling.Many thanks to Don S for posting a link to the manual; i owe that man a beer!:) Had a hard time finding the link again, so here it is:
http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser2.html#/2